Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Handling 100 foot motoryacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PPD, Jan 22, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

Question for all the reasonable seasoned captains out there:
    I have the opportunity to buy a larger boat (100ft broward) and I would like some advice/input on how much more difficult it will be to handle something in this size range as opposed to my 68' motoryacht.

I am fully aware of the additional maintenance and associated costs, so I'm really looking at how much different the operation of the boat will be. I own a marina with the ability to do most refit/repair work, and I am mechanically inclined (build custom fiberglass boats and restore classic boats).

Can a boat of this size be operated by the owner with some training from a captain and a good deckhand?

Thanks in advance
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

First issue will not be whether you can handle the boat but whether your insurance will accept a jump from 68 to 100 especially if you don’t have at least a 100T master. Insurance is getting ridiculously expensive and restrictive on bigger boats especially older ones. Some underwriters consider 15 years old to be old and risky business. Especially in Florida.

how easy it is to handle depends on the layout. I m assuming a 100 footer will be an RPH. With aft deck controls on each side it s no big deal although a flush deck with lower helm makes it easier. Having a full walk around deck is big plus as well.

My personal boat is a “little” 53MY which I ve single handed for 20+ years even before becoming a professional (I hope) captain :) As a job I ve run a 70, 84 and now 110 MY. When needed I easily single handed the 70 and 84 which both had side decks so I can easily go from the aft deck docking stations to my lines. The 110 is a different animal having no side deck. Typically my wife handles the bow and first spring lines and we have another crew handling the other spring and stern lines although on occasion we have done it just the two of us. It just comes down to experience and knowing your limits for the conditions.

but insurance will be the problem.
  3. PPD

PPD Member

Pascal - thanks for your input. Yes, insurance will be a problem. pretty much all of the boats, heavy equipment, etc. that I own is of the 1980-1995 vintage as it is just plain easier to repair and maintain than modern engines and systems as long as there is still good availability of parts. So we will be well beyond the insurance company's 15 year window.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is A LOT more stuff to keep on top of in that size. So you will spend most of your time keeping the boat operational versus in operation.
  5. Rob Welling

Rob Welling New Member

Pascal brings up a lot of good points. I ran a 112 Broward for a number of years and often just two of us - the engineer or deck/stew and I. As long as you know your roles well, and can communicate clearly (and calmly) all should be good. Mine had wing stations on the bridge, which were gold in that I could easily see down either side, and communicate if we had anyone helping from the dock. We had two-way radios for crew-to-crew coms. I'd highly recommend that - maybe you already have them with your 68, I don't know. Very helpful as other than bow and forward/midship spring, visibility and communication on those boats was nearly impossible. As you know, the side deck is only 1/2 forward. Aft is blind from the bridge.

The actual HANDLING (operating the boat) is pretty straightforward. Getting used to the slower movement will take a minute, different delays in controls depending on what you have, and just overall "feel" for the boat. Jumping up from a 68, you may actually feel after a short while that the 100 is easier to handle believe it or not. That's always been my experience as I went up in size.

Consequences for any "oops" also increase, but when you're moving into that size vessel, the expectation would be that you're at an experience and skill level to prevent those.
    captainwjm likes this.