Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

Handheld GPS's..

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by YachtForums, Nov 21, 2003.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm looking into a handheld GPS to use on our smaller boat. I've looked at the Magellan Meridan series, both color and B&W screens, in addition to Garmins offerings. I read about a new micro-size GPS from Magellan called the SporTrak Pro that looks interesting as well.

Has anybody used any of the above units and can you comment on features and performance?

Thanks!
  2. trouty

trouty New Member

Garmin Etrek

I've used a small Garmin Etrek summit (the waterproof model with barometer) and it worked fine for just long enough to get out of the 2 year warranty - then it leaked and hasn't worked since! :rolleyes:

Would I buy another?

NO.....coz with all the bracket and chords etc to make it owrk it was over $700.....and i could get a bigger screen fixed model for about the same $.

Basically they are too small and fidley to use while boating IMHO.

Cheers!
  3. Qocean

Qocean New Member

Handheld GPS

The handheld GPS is an essential tool for boating, if used correctly. This summer on a shake down cruise (52’ sailboat) from Maine to Connecticut, the integrated navigation system went down. Raytheon radar, GPS, and all instruments; along with Nobel-Tec software is the system. But if the GPS goes out then Nobel-Tec does too. You can manually move the “boat” if you know the coordinates, but without the data your stuck.

So the decision was make to buy a handheld GPS, as backup. I ended up buying a Garmin 72 for the owner. After looking at almost 10 units, we decided to get the 72. It’s not a plotter, nor can it have an external antenna. I used this unit and I was really impressed with the price/value. It had navigational aids, along with many other futures. The price was about $165. I opted for the lower model, because it was a backup for a very good system. For a plotter handheld, you are looking at more then twice the price, along with $200 for the “charts”, and more for other accessories.

Overall I was very happy with the Garmin 72, great price, very functional, easy to use, and it only uses 2 AA bats with over 8 hours of use.

Good Luck
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

At the Miami Show, I saw a newly released VHF/GPS full mapping handheld from Uniden. It's called the Uniden Mystic and it's submersible! (a 3 year water protection warranty) It carries an MSRP of $699, but I was quoted street prices at the show of under $500.

It features Magellan's GPS technology that is compatible with Magellan's "Blue Nav" charting software. Essentially, it has a full screen mapping GPS with a built-in handheld VHF! It's W.A.A.S. enabled, has a backlit display (including keypad), and switchable between 1 watt / 5 watt mode (to save battery life).

In addition, it features DSC (Digital Sevelective Calling), which allows users to map the position of other vessels with DSC capability.

Accessories include a drop in charger with data port, Mapsend CD and AC/DC adapters.

My "Christmas Wish-List" just got longer!

Attached Files: