Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Halogen G4 to LED Bulbs

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Tashmoo, Nov 11, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tashmoo

Tashmoo New Member

Anyone have a good source for dimmable, 2 pin G4 bulbs to replace the halogens in all the overheads? I bought 30-ish Chinese bulbs from eBay and most were toast by mid season.
  2. bsd222

bsd222 New Member

Oracle lighting
  3. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There has been a lot of past discussions on this. It may be a time saver to do some searching old post here on Y F.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've had great luck with scandvik. The 10 watt LED replacements are as bright as 20 watt halogen. I did 65 bulbs 2 years ago on a yacht where the owner lives on it 8 days a month, and have not had a single failure. Plus they're like $10 each....the Chinese wafers can be junk.
  6. JeffH

JeffH Member

7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We've had good luck with LEDs from marinebeam.com. Not inexpensive, but they work well. The previous and less-expensive bi-pin LEDs showed some serious signs of excessive heat on the backplane, in addition to some of the diodes crapping out. Much better with the marinebeam units.

Their "Force 12" (or something like that) work on our dimmers, and 2700K was the right warm white color temperature. They may have something better by now; ours are several years old...

There are different types of dimmers; with some, I've read you'll need to leave one incandescent bulb in the circuit.

Marinebeam has some useful educational info on their site...

-Chris
  8. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

This. I haven't run into any other vendor who understood the issues with lights on a boat better than these guys. Very happy customer here. Their advice and help are the same high quality as their product. Give 'em a call.