Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

"HALF BUILD" 45-55m

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Floriano, Mar 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Floriano

Floriano Member

Dear everyone,

My closest friend is looking to purchase soon a 45m to 55m yacht, displacement or semi-displacement,

The main point is that he is looking for an "Half-Built" boat, that mean he want to put his own interior taste on the interior.

What do you think we can currently find on the market ?

Many thanks
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

This 51 meter Trinity comes to mind as a "half build" or 50 % completed under 500 tons , MTU 16v-4000 mains and NL gens & major equipment in place. 6 staterooms and top speed of 24 knots. I have no idea what the $$ ask is for this vessel. PM me if you want the email for the seller.

IMG_0528.JPG
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Several Dutch yards like Amels, Hakvoort, Heesen or even Feadship or some Med based yards like Benetti or CRN have Spec Boats at different stages of build in their sheds. Also they would never admit, that it is a spec boat, they call it a boat on order, where the owner would like to sell it, because he is stepping up to a bigger boat (or any other kind of week excuses :)), they are there.

These "Spec Boats are part of their business practise in order to keep their staff busy, shorten delivery time and cut down production costs. The farther the builts are towards completeness, the more the yards are willing to negotiate prices. Spec Boats on hold for longer times are real bargins for a client, willing to make compromizes.

Just have Your friend make an appointment with any of those yards, within the first hour of that initial meeting, they will start showing their "special offers" somewhere in their sheds.

As most of these yards do not have the resourses for building every boat from a white sheet of paper, they have a line of hulls and even completely designed boats, they like to sell.

Especially some Dutch yards even prefer to build most of the yacht without an "disturbing" client. A client stepping into a project at a later stage, can choose the interior decoration, some appliances and he can even move some interior walls, if not designed as structual bulkheads. But as far as machinery layouts and their standard chain of supply is concerned, they do not show any flexibility. It is just their way of doing things.

Just send Your friend to one of the obove mentioned yards. I will take a bet, he will get a "great offer" on the first day.

Just my 2 (Euro) Cents
  4. Floriano

Floriano Member

Thank you very much for this information, it helps to move forward !
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Floriano,

Just sent you a PM about this hull.

Look forward to hearing back from you about it.

Thanks!