Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Grand Alaskan ?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by shanti, Jan 3, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. shanti

shanti New Member

Hi, long time lurker and first time poster!

We are thinking about making an offer on a 64 grand Alaskan. the boat fits our long list of wants /don't wants, but I am concerned I can find very little online about them anywhere. Very little on here or other forums, no mag reviews, no owners websites, etc...

What can the YF community tell me? How are resale/ vales, build quality, known issues? Give me the good, the band and the ugly.

Thanks!
  2. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Welcome Shanti,
    This builder was discussed on one of the threads here.
    At one time I was also interested in one of these vessels. However ended up buying an Offshore. From my initial research: They were built in Asia on behalf of the US dealer/owners, Oviatt Marine.
    It appears Oviatt are no longer operating and the boats are now marketed by another group who use Luke Brown.
    Very attractive designed boat, timeless and practical. However I did hear of some issues due to inconsistent build quality.
    Use a good surveyor!
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked at 3 or 4 of them for an owner a few years ago, they were 2000 to 2004 models in the 65-75 range

All had some serious bonehead design issues like exposed shore cable inlet back side on the Portuguese bridge, unsealed transom hatches opening into the lazarette, and the grand prize was one boat with a lazarette hatch which could only be unlocked from the inside, accessed from the ER. So if you had a rudder leak or something you could only get tout by flooding the ER.

Seemed like details but if they screwed up things like that... You got to wonder what else they did!

Obviously they may have improved, only a detailed inspection can tell
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Kafue and Pascal's remarks are 'spot-on'. Oviatt lacked just enough attention to detail to allow one of his salesmen to exploit an opportunity... finding a yard and going into the boat building business, competing directly with Oviatt. Ultimately, there wasn't enough room for both and Oviatt drowned in his sorrows.

Grand Alaskan's have a few quirks, but at the right price, can be overlooked or remedied. I understand the line was recently resurrected by new owners, but not much info at this time, other than they tried to spam YF and promptly got booted.
  5. rene0031

rene0031 Guest

oke mmm ;

what would be the right price for a 2002 64 ft 2 times 330hp cartepilar 3000 hour each. fair condition

Are they easy to sell ? or .... as when for sale i see them long time for sale.

i consider to buy one , bud only at the right price.

Thanks Rene
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I recently sold a 64 Grand Alaskan. She surveyed extremely well and mostly had minor age/usage related findings. She was a beautiful yacht that was heavily cruised and well maintained. The new owners are very satisfied and happily enjoying.

It sometimes only takes one solid sale negotiated properly to bring the market values down; since then, the prices have been reduced on a few of the GA's.

Survey well, good luck, and post again your results.

Judy