Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

GPS/ cellular boat monitoring system

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Alzira II, Jul 8, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Is anyone using an aftermarket boat monitoring system. I have heard of some bilge alarm/temperature/location monitoring devices but I cant name any. I could use a nest thermostat and cameras to monitor on one app but the data outside marina WiFi would be a separate item to maintain. A bilge monitoring device would be nice too. In an ideal world you could have a 4g data device that could feed you bilge alerts, gps movement, maybe cabin temperature, even a camera feed although I would worry less about that.
  2. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

I've been using GP link from Gregory poole cat in north Carolina for 2.5 yrs. It's been good so far. Always alerts when any monitored item has trouble. There system also has integrated gps. GP gets all the alerts and contacts us immediately.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There are a number of monitoring system.

for connectivity you can get a stand-alone cellular modem with your favorite carrier. We have a Cradlepoint cell modem on the boat I run with an ATT sim and it s very reliable. On my own boat I use a netgear device thru Finally Wifi at $80 a month unlimited with no fine print or downgrade. They use the ATT network.

i ve given up on marina wifi even with boosters
  4. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

Siren Marine uses cell with GPS option
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I have the Globe Surfer III cell based modem. I would say it is marginal at best. It is connected to one of our big antennas and I thought this would improve reception over just a cell phone but it really is no better. Of course, having it there to use as a portal for a monitoring system to connect would be useful. I'm also looking for a system to monitor and have camera access when I'm not there. I have briefly looked at the GOST system but it might be a bit overkill.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I've heard of some people using the Ring residential alarm system.
    They have common sensors required for both applications. They are cloud based and use cellular back-up.
    I have no first hand knowledge.