Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Westport

Good construction but low on luxury materials...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Roman Ash, Jul 18, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Roman Ash

Roman Ash Guest

Hi there.
    So I am, as many silly questions asking people, am a newbie...
    I was wondering, is there a 40-50 foot powerboat that has high grade construction,
    but doesn't come with leather, expensive wood, and everything power for less money?
    Or do construction grade and upscale interior always come hand in hand?
    I do realize that the whole category is not cheap (understatement).
    I looked around and so far the most attractive boat design (just the layout itself)
    was a beneteau gt 44, also the price was appealing. But then i read almost EVERYWHERE,
    that its cheap on construction, and you get what you pay for. So if i would to buy one that
    is 8 years old, expect a 20% or so annual expense.. And not even all the time i will find a
    solution. So if the layout is close, the construction is good, but interior is on the cheaper side,
    it would be perfect, otherwise i have to reconsider my financial abilities and just go for like a 30 foot
    and charter a bigger one if needed (again). I have never owned a boat before, but i am EXTREMELY
    skilled with my hands and an engineer to boot. (have rebuilt my own bmw m3 engine and what not,
    and recondition two other german cars from scratch, all but bodywork)

btw, i live in vancouver, so any advice is welcome but if i can't buy it here, its a waste of time...

Much appreciated
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Larger boats are mostly nothing like buying a car or truck. Each is individual and made by hand to an owner's wishes. A little like the handbuilt Rolls Royces before the WW1. On the same chassis you could have a Lux town car or a desert warfare armoured car with machine guns.

Lets take the humble Pilot Boat used around the World for the last 70 years. Tough, good in rough weather, easy to handle and simple to keep running.

Now add some leather and gloss. Is it a lesser boat? I think not. Same with fast fishing boats in the Bay and those swanky ones down in Miami. If they don't work, people soon ignore them as serious craft.

Something like this is a swanky version of a commercial hull.
    https://www.**************/boats/20...se-2986488/Courtney-Comox/Canada#.W0-X9NJKiK8
  3. Roman Ash

Roman Ash Guest

Forgive me for my ignorance, but 1.2M is a "lil" more than i can chew... I am trying to stay under 300k for purchase and have very little left. And even then, if repairs get heavy i will very little left to spend on actually using the thing...
    So i was leaning towards something i can get for around the 250k mark and then repairs.
    Smallest possible that could have a full beam aft master bedroom.
    But still a sleek look and not trawler like. Also i would want to bring the speeds up to low 30knts, so a trawler is probably not what i'm looking for.

If for my budget it's not possible then 30 footer it is. (sea ray 280 style).
  4. Ward

Ward Senior Member

See what happens when you start looking for something that fits within a couple of your constraints: e.g. Look at craigslist in Vancouver for power boats between $200k and $250 and what is there?

... Not that much: nothing that comes close to the speed you want and has a big aft master. Note that a newish, ~30 ft Cutwater or Ranger Tug is getting close to your price limit. From everything I've read and from looking at a few, those are good quality boats, they have the "no leather and expensive wood finishes" that you want, but they're smaller than you want.

Or change the lower limit to $150k and see what's available: for less that $200k, you can get a 39' Bayliner, but it'll be closer to 20 years old and won't have the top speed you're looking for.

I'm not a powerboat guy, but based on my general sense of what boats cost and then looking at these local listings, I'm pretty sure you can't find anything the size you want, with engines capable of the speeds you want for the amount you're willing to spend.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

You could look at Carver, Sea Ray, Cruisers, Maxum, Silverton, etc. aft-cabin "motor yacht" models, and maybe some of those brands plus Bayliner (and maybe Meridian, maybe others) "cockpit motor yachts"...

At least for that kind of size, space, and layout. Should be boatloads of those in the 35-40' range under $250K. None of them (that I know of) will run in the low 30s, but many will run in the low 20s easily enough, some mid-20s especially the diesel models.

Example: There's a '95 Bayliner 4587 in Tacoma with twin diesels, looks like an aft-cabin (full beam master) cockpit motor yacht, for not all that much money. No idea about condition or layout, looks like lower cruising speed than you're after, but may give you a example of the kind of boats you might look for...

-Chris
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Fountain 48' Express cruiser has a 40 knot cruise at about 1 mpg, it's a triple diesel Arneson boat though. A 45' cabo with C18's will cruise 30 knots and is top quality build. They also made FB boats like the 40', 43', and 47/48' and most cruise right around 30 knots.
  7. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

What’s the annual upkeep on an older Cabo though?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not too bad...….just the motors and generator, a/c units....most had no teak to deal with.....some aluminum and stainless....easy boat to wash..........a 45' express is built like a tank with excellent wiring.....systems....etc.....
  9. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I think most had Cats too so those would be on the cheaper side to maintain and less of it. Not sure the brand of generators they usually have.
  10. Roman Ash

Roman Ash Guest

Thank you guys for the input..
    I didn't like bayliners, i've noticed they all have a home design more than a boat design in that size: good focus on accommodations
    but not great on the upper deck (social area).
    The real purpose of the boat is two couples going away for a week to party (with other boaters and boats)
    But if the speed will be low 20's then it will take even longer. low 30's is considered fast? isn't it like 55km/h?
    I guess its a lot of weight to move around.
    If only world cat would make 40 feet boats.
    In that case, we may be, better off with 26-30 foot each couple. for like 60-80k and call it a day.
    I will look at what you guys mentioned here though.
  11. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

This is likely the feature that starts bringing boat sizes (hence, weights) up and speeds down.

Unless you mean something like the "aft" (mid) cabin underneath the helm in a SeaRay Sundancer or similar.

-Chris
  12. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Try: https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/
    They have one of the better web sites on the West Coast and a lot of boats. I bought my current boat thru them and it was the best broker experience I ever had.
    If you're not fussy, you might be better off with an older boat that needs some tlc, and save some cash for unplanned expenses. A common problem with boats. Better yet, learn how to maintain and repair most or all of the systems. Boat yards are expensive. Because of the usual exchange rate, a little cheaper in Canada.
  13. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Question is do you want a condo or a sport boat. If the latter, then you don't want something that's gonna get wet and mold. If the former, then look for and old trawler, troller or tug - esp the ones that never leave the dock.
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You should easily find something for under $150k, especially with your mechanical abilities. There's a lot of boats out there for sale. You can find many good deals.
    I purchased my 42' Ocean Yachts with a full aft cabin and diesels for under $30k three years ago. I had it surveyed and sea trialed it twice before I handed over the cash. The boat was quite clean after sitting on the hard for more than two years. Just needed good servicing ,cleaning, maintenance and use, to bring her back to life. Which I did on my own. Over time I've replaced a few things, like a generator. That was quite easy too.
    What ever you buy, make sure it runs! You must sea trail the boat. Make sure the mechanicals have good "bones" along with the hull and superstructure. Engines, pumps, transmissions are expensive even if you know how to work on them.
    I tend to over look the cosmetics as they are easy to do yourself, but do take some time.