Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

Getting a start in Yachting

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by sailronin, Feb 1, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

There are many posts in this forum from people looking to get into yachting. I thought it might help to post a few hints from the captain's side of the equation.

If you want a job on a yacht you MUST go to where the yachts are. Crew agencies are helpful, but, if your plan is to sit in Denver and send resumes to agencies and wait for the perfect job to call.......it won't happen. You have to meet the people at the agency. When I call an agent to fill a position I want to know what the agent thinks of the person. Do they have a good attitude? Are they presentable? Do they seem like they will fit in with the rest of my crew? All of these answers require personal contact, an interview in person.

List with several agencies. Ones in Fort Lauderdale in the fall and spring, Newport in the summer, Sint Maarten in the Winter and France/Monaco in the spring. Most of the established agencies have offices or reps in more than one of these places. In no particular order I have had good luck with:

Luxury Yacht Group
    Crew Unlimited
    Lecasse Maritime
    CrewNetwork
    Palm Beach Yacht Crew
    Camper and Nicholsons Crew placement
    Northrup and Johnson Crew Placement
    Elite Crew
    Smallwoods (not a crew agent, leave your resume in the folders on the tables)

Once you have signed up with a couple of agencies, walk the docks. Wear nice working clothes, bring resumes with pictures. Go to the marinas and boatyards to introduce yourself. Knock on the hull, NEVER EVER board a yacht without permission. Ask to speak to either the mate or captain, introduce yourself, be polite, ask if they need dayhelp and offer a resume and cover letter. Don't get discouraged if the answer is no. The idea here is to meet people and get your resume out....they may call you back in a couple of days as new projects develop or the situation aboard changes. (It's a good idea to have a set of work clothes in a backpack in case they do want you to start a wash down right that morning.)

Be polite to the crew you meet in crew hangouts (the beach, restaurants, bars, etc). Attitude is more important than ability in the beginning. We can train someone to do things our yachts way, it is almost impossible to change someone's attitude. The first thing I ask my crew when considering a dayworker is "do you know this person?" If they saw you falling off a bar stool the night before, I'll find someone else.

Finally, a lot of finding the first job comes down to luck and timing. I've hired a stewardess who knocked on the side of the boat because that morning my regular stew had an illness in the family and had to take a leave of absence to be with her mom. The regular stew couldn't return to work and the temp was employed with us for an entire season. Similar stories are common with deckhands....sometimes it's just being in the right place. A famous man once said "Success is 90% showing up", he was right.

Good luck in finding a job.

Dave
  2. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

very true

success is 90% showing up............... I think thats how you keep a job in Fort Lauderdale!! lol

Very good advice
  3. jimminychricket

jimminychricket New Member

Thank you for the advice. I want to know what kind of places we could go and stay, if say we were all the way in California and wanted to get to the main yachting cities like Ft Lauderdale? Miami? San Diego?
  4. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

There are several "crew houses" in Fort Lauderdale. These are inexpensive places to stay and good sources of leads for daywork. Anybody out there with good experiences in Lauderdale crew houses could post contact info.

I think the best bet of the cities you mentioned would be Fort Lauderdale in the spring and fall. Try Newport, RI in the summer, maybe Sint Maarten in the winter. Antibes or Cannes in the med for the summer.

San Diego is starting to get more large yachts but is still probably less than 1/10 the amount of work as in Fort Lauderdale.

Good luck

Dave
  5. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Here is the (shhhh) secret to the business

This job is 10% knowledge and 90% personality:cool:
  6. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

bump message
  7. EricM

EricM New Member

Thank you for some very good posts. I've found them very helpful. Becoming a crew member and eventually a captain of my own boat is something I've wanted to pursue for a long time and I'm now starting to look into the possibilities. I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I literally have zero experience. I grew up in landlocked Pittsburgh, Pa and I've been on a sailboat once, that being a yacht I chartered for a day trip in the Caribbean and I've been hooked ever since. My situation is I'm 27 years old, with no experience and live about 150-200 miles from the nearest ports. I can't convince myself to pick up and move to a port city without first having a job. I know several posts have said personality is key...well that I have, but the complete lack of experience is daunting when I consider making such a move with no guarantee or even likelihood of employment due to my lack of experience. How much will having absolutely no experience hurt me? And would you recommend a day trip to the nearest ports to walk the docks and meet with agencies and use the above mentioned suggestions? And now perhaps my silliest question...when you say wear nice working clothes to the docks, do you mean suit and tie or something more casual? I apologize if this is a stupid question...its probably just showing the landlubber in me I'm trying to get rid of :) Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
  8. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

EricM

Nice clothes as in yachting nice, clean polo shirt and slacks or shorts. You don't need to wear a suit and tie.

Just a day trip to a "port city" most likely won't do much good. You need to go where the yachts are and be available for daywork so that people will get to know you. In the summer this means Newport, RI or Fort Lauderdale in the spring and fall (in the US probably Antibes in France those times) and St. Maarten or Antigua in the winter. While it does happen don't count on picking up a job in a day or even several days.

Understand that with no experience you will be looking at jobs that may include scrubbing bilges, cleaning out holding (sewage) tanks, cleaning anchor chain, day jobs in boatyards or any other task no-one else wants. I usually figure that someone who will do these jobs won't balk at the day to day cleaning and polishing and will be willing to work and learn. Doing a good wash down of a yacht is a skilled task, something you will work up to. Knowing which cleaning agent to use where, not to drag hoses across paint work, being careful with bright surfaces, care of teak decking etc....

I don't want to discourage you but want give a realistic picture so you can set yourself up to have a career.

Good luck,
    Dave
  9. EricM

EricM New Member

Thanks for the fast response Dave, if I had expected one so quickly I would have checked back sooner heh. And don't worry about discouraging me...I want the most realistic picture and I won't be dissuaded. This is what I want to do and I'll do what I have to do to make it happen. I know I'm at a major disadvantage due to my age and getting a late start, as well as my complete lack of experience.

The port closest to me is Annapolis. Would this have similar opportunities to what you described in the other ports? I mean to get the basics and some experience down...not to start a full time career there. Also, upon doing more research online I've come across several sailors looking for people to join them in their travels. A few in particular will cover all expenses (they're not paid, just cover the expenses) and are looking for traveling partners who will help out with the ship along the way. They also say that experience is not necessary. This almost seems too good to be true, but would this be a good way to begin gaining experience?

I'm sorry for all the questions in this thread. If you'd like me to make a new one and stop posting in this one just let me know. Thanks for all your help!

Eric
  10. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Eric,
    The reason I started this thread is to answer questions.

It depends on what you are looking for on where to go. Annapolis has lots of small (under 100 foot) sailing boats and a few larger yachts during the summer months. Ads for deck hands for nothing or expenses are generally on smaller sail boats. The attitude and attention to detail is usually different but getting experience is always good and these positions will get you started with some sea time. At least you will get a chance to find out if you like being on the water.
    Be aware that a position on a large yacht will almost certainly require you to have your STCW certificate. This is a five day class which covers basics in Safety, First Aid, and Firefighting.

Good luck
    Dave
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  11. seagemint

seagemint New Member

Great advice from someone who obviously knows

Sailronin - hope those who have read your Thread take your advice. I'm writing this from the Med but all true for here as well. Liked the "cameo comment" from CaptainChris as well, nice. Just to show you there ain't that many young men out there who NEED to work or LEARN - the Thread that
    appears beneath yours regarding a job in Greek Islands has had NO replies - perhaps course I mentioned the pay was not huge ! Sad really. Should add because of location only European Union passport holders are suitable for this one.
    Rodney.:cool:
  12. jimminychricket

jimminychricket New Member

I am one whom has experience in the sea scouts and experience with a boat restoration and rescue. It was an old Coast Gaurd Patrol boat that was incorrectly tied and sank in the Oakland/ San Fransisco port. I was wondering if there are any agents in San Fransisco?
  13. Songlines82

Songlines82 New Member

Ft. Lauderdale in the Fall

Hi. I'm thinking of heading to Ft. Lauderdale in early September to take as much daywork as possible and hopefully find a position although I have ZERO experience. Is early September a good time to head down there? And if so, then what time do most of the boats usually head for the Caribbean? Also, if I were to go down there and (best case scenario) find work for the season are there any packing suggestions that anyone would like to share?

Thanks,
    Alan
  14. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Alan,
    September may be a bit early. Many larger yachts come back later on, closer to the end of hurricane season. Some come in mid October to prep forthe Ft Lauderdale boat show. Others come in afterr the show since many local slips at the major marinas are used for the show. You may want to hook up on a boat further north and make the delivery trip down as a deck hand. Pay may not be what you want, but expenses should be covered. After all, you are looking to get experience.
    Good luck.
    Capt Tom
  15. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Eric, you may have no experience but that doesn't mean you can't start learning about boats, navigation, rules of the road, plotting, etc. As a crew member you do have value, especially if you know more than the next mate. Take a class at your local Power Squadron or Coast Guard (I know they may not be close due to you being land locked, but look em up anyway).
    ANd hook up with folks who have boats. Get som esee time and vbefore you know it you won't be saying "I have no experience". Then get to the major ports during season and start selling your self. Like Dave said, be presentable and take any job that comes up to get your foot in the door.
    Good luck.
    Capt Tom
  16. Songlines82

Songlines82 New Member

Will Do!

Hey, thanks for the info CaptTom. I hadn't even considered the idea of catching someone further North. I'm pretty close to Annapolis and not too far from plenty of other stops down the coast and would be ecstatic to get any kind of experience by joining a boat on the way down instead of just flying down there and hoping for something. Just gotta find a ride now!

Alan
  17. Songlines82

Songlines82 New Member

As I said in my previous post I am brand new, so if this post belongs somewhere else please let me know.

I would like to make sure that there won't be any technicalities or stumbling blocks that might hold me back from starting a job on a yacht (except, of course, my lack of experience :) )

I have been under the impression that I really should get my STCW 95 certification to make myself employable on most yachts. I have also heard about getting my Merchant Mariner's Document (MMD). The MMD and STCW seem to be linked in a lot of articles and I want to find out if I need my STCW training to be complete before applying for an MMD or if I should apply for an MMD ASAP and get the STCW course under my belt whenever I can? Or do I even need the MMD? Also, what exactly is required to get an MMD and how does one go about doing so?

I hope I've made my question clear enough without jumbling my abbreviations. Thanks, in advance, for any information on this topic.

Hope I'm not getting on anyone's nerves yet:

If I were to try to get a course or two under my belt before I try to find work does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to do so (preferably in the United States) and also any suggested entry-level of training?

I've looked into Chapman School of Seamanship's 12-week program that seems to cover the basics. I would love to be able to take one of the large courses at a place like UKSA (www.uksa.org) but the cost of those courses plus the flights are just prohibitive of those options for me right now. As far as other places I've checked into you probably can't name one that I haven't at least seen a website for at this point but if anyone has had (or knows someone who has had...) good or bad experiences to speak of at one of these educational institutions and is willing to take the time to share I would love to hear it! :D

Alan
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  18. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Songlines,
    Don't forget Sea School (all over) and MPT (Maritime Professional Training) down here in Ft Lauderdale. There is also a place called Marine Safety International, but not sure if that's too much for you now.
    Good luck.
    Capt Tom
  19. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Check out the US Coast Guard website (Google Coast Guard and STCW). There is a guide to licensing as well as a link to a PDF that shows every school in the US which is qualified teach the classes.
  20. Lomas

Lomas New Member

Any info on B1B2 visa's

Thanks for the info Dave it's very helpful as myself and my partner Jane are looking at getting into the industry! We are having some probs getting our B1B2 visas as the US gov says we need to apply from Australia...any tips would be great Thanks Lomas and Jane