Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Generator won't run with engines on

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Worthyvess, Jan 8, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? If the electric is running off the generator and I start the engines, a warning light and buzzer comes on the boats Volvo display. If I turn off the curcuit breaker it goes away even though the generator is still running (and the engines are still on). Northern Lights generator. Thanks for any help! We are trying to get to the Bahamas.
  2. Calvin Wagner

Calvin Wagner New Member

Any more info on the warning light? Off hand, this sounds like a short or a grounding issue. A short, because your disconnecting the hot-side while still running and not having issues. Is it a floating or grounded system?

Do you have access to the ships wiring diagrams?
  3. 30West

30West Member

What is common between the engines and generator on this boat? Battery, fuel, raw water? Does this happen with only both engines, or only with one of the engines, or either engine? What breaker specifically are you turning off to stop the alarm?

Has any work been done on this boat recently? I assume this is your 53' Navigator you've owned a while.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If this is a new issue, i'd bet somebody has been messing around the batteries. There is a strap off, loose or installed wrong.
  5. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies!
    Only happens on one engine.
    Does not happen if I turn off the battery charger.
    A meter shows a jump in voltage with the generator and charger on from 13.94 to 14.25
    Could it be a setting in the Volvo control panel or that the battery charger is over charging?
  6. 30West

30West Member

Battery charger should be putting out around 14V. Batteries will slowly drop to around 12V without the charger, jump back up to 14V with the charger. If that is what is happening, sounds normal.

Rcrapps is probably right, someone probably did some cleaning and tightening before your journey, and something got bumped or reinstalled incorrectly.
  7. Calvin Wagner

Calvin Wagner New Member

Only happens on one engine? As in, this problem is only affected by a certain engine, or it only occurs when operating on either one out of the two engines are running? Not surprising there's a higher voltage with the generator and charger on.

So the system is operating correctly without the battery charger online? Does your system have any kind of smart regulators for the alternators? If so, that will certainly, and is known to, mess with Penta motormanagement.

As others have said, check your connections.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't understand. You titled the thread "gen won't run with engines on"

Then you say "generator still runs"

There could be two issues. First having the charger on confuses the engine electronics and they sense a higher voltage than expected, triggering a warning light. But the generator should still be running. Does it?

What happpens if you start the engines on shorepower with the charger on? Does the warning light comes on?

Other problem, which I have seen in the past is when the generator shares a starting battery with one engines (bad setup). The draw from the engine cranking can be enough to shut down the generator

Is this what happens?
  9. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Sorry,
    Only occurs on one engine. The engine runs fine plugged into shore power or running without the gen on. If I start the gen, the battery warning light and buzzer come on. The buzzer goes off if I turn off the battery charger.
    In other words the warning comes on with the gen running and the battery charger on.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your gen-set uses the engines battery to start/run. There is a problem in the wires to the battery, alternators from either/both engines to/from the common battery.
    Is this a new problem?????????
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

How are you using the Battery Selector Switch, is it on #1 or #2 or All? Have you tried to isolate each battery? Typically, the Charger is on all of the time.

I would assume the problem may be in the Volvo panel if you are now seeing this for the first time after all these years.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How old are your batteries? To me it sounds like a battery/voltage issue. The charger also could be bad and leaking AC voltage which will play hell with DC electronics.
  13. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

The batteries are less than a year old and the generator has its own starting battery
    The problem started since Volvo installed a new alternator on that engine- nothing wrong with the old one just wanted a spare to cruise. Thanks again.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Have you called Volvo back?
  15. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

No, we've been traveling towards Nassau in the Bahamas. Met a captain who said that the batteries are probably getting overcharged and setting off the alarm. So now we just shut the charger off when we run the generator and it runs fine now.
    Thanks again for all the interest and responses!
    Now we have new issues. Always an adventure!
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would change the charger out ASAP or all of your batteries will be fried.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

AGMs or Lead Acids? Wrong setting on the charger?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most likely a bad diode in the charger sending AC voltage through to the batteries.......or just full charge mode and cooking them, but guessing most likely leaking AC voltage into the batteries.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I still think something is missing here.
  20. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

That sounds very possible that it's the charger, thanks. Just got to Paradise Island. Was leaving the charger off when using the generator. Now the dripless is leaking, so don't want to leave charger off, sunk boat worse than fried batteries. Always an adventure!! Thanks for all the help.