Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay

Garcia Yachting's GT-54 "Le Trawler"

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by diesel one, Oct 18, 2012.

1. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Read the review by Ms. Waldman and found it interesting enough to head to the boat show to take a look at the yacht. One small error in the review, the boat is 38 Tonnes, not 38,000 lbs, but not that big a deal in the over all review.

Found the yacht to be very nice, a bit narrow for my taste but workable. Spoke with the folks and found out some interesting info on the trip over.

She hit Hurricane Nadine twice and Tropical storm Oscarsand lost 2 days in the storms and still averaged 8 knots @ 3 gph. Also hit a submerged container en route and put gash on starboard side. The gash, in my opinion, would have put a nice big hole in a "glass" boat and would have had a good chance of sinking a "glass" boat. Just my opinion so hold the nasty comments please.

Nice boat, one that is on my list of possibles.

Diesel one
  2. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

I may have missed the installation of active stabilizers in the article, if so I apologize. Except for the Diesel Duck, the competition uses active stablizers - ie Nordhavn or Dashew. A steadying sail can be dangerous in big winds nor does it do as well in calm conditions and big rollers. Retro-fitting active stabilizers is not an easy or cost effective task. Back to the drawing boards maybe.

Regarding the container strike, I'm not so sure a Nordhavn solid FRP hull, at 8 knots, would have suffered any worse than Al.
  3. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Le Trawler

A Norhavn with it's solid fiberglass hull would have been damaged. Pretty big gash. Problematical if the strike would have holed the hull. 50/50 either way I think