Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Galeon yachts: the good and the bad?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SJB, Jun 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No, it's not just you.
  2. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Oooo, oooo, I want to play.:D

In post #8, the OP, SJB, says, "... I noticed the 500 only has 3.5 draft, does that affect the ride when on open ocean? I would feel it gives a bumper ride?" It seems that johnnry is addressing the "bumper ride" by talking about the effects of what he thinks is a small dead rise.
  3. WiserTime

WiserTime New Member

For limited deadrise/slicing through the fun stuff I proffer Palm Beach/Grand Banks (the current 60’).
  4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I bought a Galeon 425 HTS in August 2022, within the first 11 months, I have encountered these issues: A/C making loud noise, water sensor not working, failed ZipWake Interceptor, both engine starters having difficulty to start, leaking transmission.

I have only used 30 hours after the delivery, the boat spent 90% of the time waiting being fixed, it's an absolute nightmare.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That sounds like third party stuff on the boat, is this just shoddy installation or poor design or off brand components?
  6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Most of the components are 3rd party for sure. Moving from 24V battery to 12V system might contribute to the starter problem, or maybe it's just an example of shoddy production quality during the pandemic era.
  7. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Grand Banks 60 is like double in price to an equivalent sized Galeon. Off course she is better, but I do agree Galeon has in recent years made flatter V-hulls. Its a pit cause Tony Castro hulls are renowned as being very good, and the first generation 640 for example is a very good riding boat.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Do you mean that the boat has a 24V domestic battery bank, but the engines are fitted with a 12V starter (hence, I suppose, also 12V engine battery and 12V alternator)?
    That would bebeyond a joke, rather than just shoddy. o_O
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In all fairness unless you can pin these issues to poor installations, they have nothing to do with the boat manufacturer.

that said, warranty issues should be handled immediately and not drag on for weeks.

Having a 12v system on a small boat pretty normal. Maybe they cut corners on cable size…
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

actually I did that when I repowered my old 53. 12 volts engines and 24 bolts house system. Works very well. I have a single 8D for each engine instead of having two which takes less space and allowed me to put each battery very close to the engine with shorter cable runs.