Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Galeon dilemma

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Strandleper, Jun 29, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Sun Country for the previous Sea Ray? The west coast has experienced some consolidation in recent years. I’m not sure if others have experience with Alexander Marine but that’s the Galeon dealer on the west coast and has taken over MarineMax’s west coast operations. Hopefully a better experience than the latter but food for thought.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, a bit of a unique situation. Ocean Alexander gave MarineMax east coast exclusivity and, in turn, took over three west coast locations as a partner-dealer of MarineMax.
  3. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I am not sure if they handle all the warranty work on the West Coast for the MM dealership line but it could make Azimut’s a bit more friendly over here if the network is better, I just have some doubts on that.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Not for nothing, but when considering a buy on a boat that can only be boarded from the stern, don't just consider the two or three places you go to, consider where the person may want to go when it comes time for you to sell.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Also, before you consider a new boat, try to find one of their older ones to go aboard first...well made boats last generations, and that shows with even limited use.
  6. Strandleper

Strandleper New Member

S
    Such a great point!
  7. Strandleper

Strandleper New Member

Sun Country indeed. “Off the charts” service operation in San Diego IMHO.
  8. Strandleper

Strandleper New Member

!!!!
  9. Timothy Ryan

Timothy Ryan New Member

Went for the Riviera 6000 sport yacht. Could not be more satisfied.

Thanks for all of the constructive feedback. Seriously!!!
  10. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Nice and gratz. Happy days with the new toy. Sensible choice.
  11. Fixinbones

Fixinbones Member

Build quality of Rivieras is supposed to be superb. I watched a test video of the larger Galion flybridge by motorboating and yachting and they really liked the boat. I think it was a 68 ft that won motorboat of the year I believe in England for its size range. However I would be concerned about all those moving parts breaking down at some point.
  12. Mike Schloss

Mike Schloss New Member

I am running a Galeon 550 Fly if I can help. I know its an old post
  13. Mike Schloss

Mike Schloss New Member

I Sea trialed the 680 which is 72' today, really nice boat.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't go that far. In the SF world, their build quality (and ride) is considered comparable to Sea Rays (in the mid 2000s). Their electrical systems in the engine room will leave you scratching your head for days.
  15. Mike Schloss

Mike Schloss New Member

What about the electrical system? Been running the 550 Fly and hes moving up to the new 680. What should I be looking for? So far (6 months and about 200hr) we have no issues with anything but some minor stuff.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On the Riviera, I am speaking about. It just looked like a cluster of wires everywhere, a lot of strange and cheap looking plastic electrical components and things of that nature.
  17. Mike Schloss

Mike Schloss New Member

I can only speak for the 550, but the electrical and plumbing is well layed out and marked. Was surprised how nice everything was bundled and secured. I haven't seen anything that I thought should be watched.......
  18. Timothy Ryan

Timothy Ryan New Member

The wiring and plumbing in my Riv is very well ordered. In fact, the quality of the finish - even in the engine room was quite good.

Having just sold a Sea Ray 400 Coupe (2017), and “captained” and maintained it for a year (150 hours or so) - I can say that the Sea Ray does not come close to the Riv in wiring layout, engine room finish or systems consistency. (To say nothing of the absolute above category fit and finish of what most people see - the cockpit, saloon and staterooms) the finish work / organization / quality in the engine room is light years ahead of my Sea Ray - (which wasn’t bad)

But maybe we are comparing Sea Rays and Rivs of different eras.

I may be a bit biased however, because I just stroked a big check for one. :)

I
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The last Riviera I ran was a 2006 or 7. The wiring was all neat and orderly, but there was tons of looms in the engine room. All of the connectors and junction boxes looked to be plastic mostly and cheap.
  20. johnnry

johnnry Member

Hi,Did u ever pull the trigger on something??follow up findings?especially if a galeon,that flat bottom worried me