Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Future owner

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by PostDreamer, Sep 13, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PostDreamer

PostDreamer New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dave, and I am considering buying a Post to live on for a couple years when I retire. My dream is to travel up and down the East Coast in a nice sportfish. It seems like a nice 42 or 46 post would fit the bill nicely. I plan to start looking this fall, which is now, and purchase sometime in the next few years.

Wish me luck !!!
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Dave,
    Welcome to YachtForums.
    Nothing wrong with dreaming. And as you will hopefully see, the many members on this site may be able to help you make that dream a reality, by their knowledge, support and assistance (not too many offering to help with $$$, but that's okay).

Let us know if you plan on hitting up any of the boat shows. Many of us members spend time lurking around the shows and are more than willing to have you buy us a cocktail. lol

Enjoy your time here.
  3. boblcf

boblcf New Member

Hi Dave,

check out my 46 post on bostonyachts.com. muriels mural is an exceptionl yacht and bargain with less than 50 hours on the engines

you can reach me via PM.

sincerely

bob
  4. PostDreamer

PostDreamer New Member

I am still looking for a nice Post.

It seems like there are some really good deals on the market lately.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A lot of 42 and 46 Posts were used for charter work because they're such great boats, but those got an awful lot of use. Research the boats history and get a good survey.
    As far as cruising the ICW, you might enjoy that more in a trawler as it's cheaper to run, and every year cruising the ICW is getting slower due to developement anyway. I've done the run between NY & Miami in as little as 5 days and as much as 13, but to really enjoy it I'd recommend taking 3 to 5 weeks or more and that would be a lot more enjoyable at 10 gph instead of 25-35 gph.
    Personally, after more than 2 doz. coastal runs my dream is the great loop (NY-Chicago-New Orleans-Key West-NY), but I make my living on boats. If anyone wants a captain for that trip get in touch. For that I'd work a very special deal.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I did that trip (Clockwise) a few years back on a 1962 56' Huckins. It was fun and interesting at the same time (tied to a tree on the bank more than once) and we were usually the biggest boat anywhere to be found.
    Once might be enough though.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Several years ago a fellow did it and brought along students from different film schools to document. It was shown on PBS in a seriers (I believe) called On The Waterways. Been my dream ever since. That and Alaska's inside passage by trawler.
    Like the ICW these are trips I think every boater would love to make once. But like most trips get old by the 2nd or 3rd time. Guess that's just our wonderlust.
    ANYBODY NEED A CAPTAIN FOR THE LOOP give me a shout (Maybe even done in pieces).
    The Alaska trip...I'm thinking (dreaming) of 6 months in an RV across to Vancover then trading that for a trawler and 6 months on the passage. Then I can die broke but happy. :cool:
  8. PostDreamer

PostDreamer New Member

Post Dreaming

Two and a half years untill retirement, and still dreaming of cruising in a post.
    I like the idea of the big loop.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you (or anyone else) is doing the loop it'd be great for them to do a video log and post it.:)
  10. PostDreamer

PostDreamer New Member

Excellent Idea ! If someone needs a videographer, please contact me.
  11. Manny

Manny Senior Member

still need a boat? buy my 54 Bertram! not a post but is excellent!! :D
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

13. Ed Piller

Ed Piller New Member

i have a 1982 42post runs great needs new top and bow rail was thinking of selling in a year or two probably will have those projects done bt then or buy as is. e-mail removed
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dear Ed,

Your email address has been removed. Please read our rules before further posting. And use common sense on the Internet.
  15. captainviv

captainviv Member

and post #3 email address ?
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Post #3 is nearly 2 and a half years old... before our policy about email addresses was in place.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The mods get better with age at catching things.:D By now Bobclf's probably been spamed of the net.:cool:
  18. captainviv

captainviv Member

sorry , did not know that ..... :)
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just so you understand our reasoning behind the policy:

We're just trying to save our Members from the frustration.
  20. PostDreamer

PostDreamer New Member

I am still dreaming about a Post, but my lady friend is working to convince me that sailing is the way to go. She has not yet convinced me, but I must admit there are some merits to sail vs power.

PostDreamer