Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Fuel stops

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Twinscrewzz, Nov 12, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

Not sure this is the right forum or if I should be in Marina's and waypoints but here goes.
    Looking at purchasing a 58 Yachtfish with 1015 gallon tanks and running it from Port Charlotte to the canal.
    Estimated fuel burn would allow approx 1 MPG at 10 knot hullspeed. 871N's Maybe take an additional 100 or 200 gallons for safety.
    Thinking Port Charlotte to the Caymans for first fuel then next fuel in Panama. Once to the pacific side I have the stops I want to make so that is covered.
    Thoughts? I'm not familiar with the gulf, Atlantic, Caribbean side. So experienced input would be appreciated.
    Mike
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where did you get 10kts / 1MPG from.
    He lied.

Have you considered a delivery captain familiar with the route and contacts?
    rtrafford likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A 58YF with naturals will get 1 NMPG at 9.5kts but in ideal conditions. Calm seas, light wind and no current. If you slow down to 8.5kts you will significantly increase range.

You need to understand that even just 1/2 kts above hull speed will drastically increase fuel burn. At 10kts you re looking at 10 to 15% reduction in range compared to 9.5 kts

And don’t forget another 1GPH for the gen.

with a new to you boat, I woudl absolutely stop in Key West to top off the tanks, replace the fuel filters, confirm fuel burn, etc

you re also going to want to calibrate dipsticks for the tanks. Forget the gauges. Hatteras fiberglass keel tanks are tapered at the bottom following the hull so when the gauge shows 1/2 tank you really have 1/3 left.
    Twinscrewzz likes this.
  4. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And what engines are doing this magic?

Why would you run Port Charlotte to Cayman? The more conventional route is Key West to Isla Mujeres or Cancun. That will not even challenge you on fuel.

More difficult becomes once you leave Belize City. We had 9000+ gallons so didn't study carefully but captains I know who do it regularly, normally take a few drums. In fact, the best resource I know is Capt J and when he returns he can likely be of great help.

I would not do this without a knowledgeable captain.
    Twinscrewzz and Capt Ralph like this.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I would further re-enforce Down Hill & with the wind & prayer,,,, all the way.

If you want a good gamble with just a little margin, 2 gallons / mile, maybe at idle (6-7kts). I could not plan any anything less. GOM currents will be your trial.

Have you found a captain yet?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  7. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

lol, yep...
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Agreed strongly. I think 2 gallons per mile is a really safe number with which to work. Hull speed for the boat is just under 10 knots. Currents will likely slow that down considerably.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Agreed on the tanks...best way to get to know your tanks is to fill them from empty in increments, checking gauges as well as marking dip sticks.
    Twinscrewzz likes this.
  11. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

Old Boater
    Have been doing a bit more research. And I agree Port Charlotte to Cancun is the best first hop. Top off there than again in Belize before a run to Panama. And I did plan to carry an extra
    1 to 200 gallons of diesel. Also planning to run a portable gen set that burns 5 gallons of fuel each 24 hrs. I was looking for suggestions for fuel stops.
    Capt Ralph I will have a licensed Captain on board who is familiar with the Pacific side of the trip. Will also have a general mechanic with decades aboard boats all the way up to cruise ships.
    Capt Ralph I am fairly familiar with the 871N as that is what is in my 45C. 2 years of fishing and cruising tells me hull speed yields 1.3 MPG. Having said that I felt hull speed fuel burn on the 58 YF would yield 1mpg. Now in doing my calculation of hull speed I used 58 ft in error and not LWL. Hull speed is closer to 8 to 8.5 knts.

I have a Captain as a resource who has made the trip from Fla. through the canal many times who I will be reaching out to determine the best fuel stops. He is currently unavailable. In the mean time I thought I would reach out to the group here for those that have made the trip. Felt it would be good information for those considering a similar trip.
    Where I appreciate the input of those sharing thoughts on cautions, please be aware this is not my first rodeo and I am just in the planning stages and am not heading out without a safe plan and an experienced crew and a vessel that has had a through hull and mechanical survey with any issues repaired.
    Once again, I appreciate constructive input.
    Mike
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hull speed is commonly calculated as the Sq root of LWL x 1.3. Yeah I know some say 1.33. Same thing.

LWL on a 58YF is 52/53’ or so yielding a hull speed of 9.38

LWL would have to be 40’ to only give a 8.2 kts hull speed.

I ve done a quite few thousand miles with my own 53MY as well as other’s 53w and 58s and at 9.2 kts you will get 1 nmpg excluding gen, current and wave action.

Sorry if many of us assumed inexperience in your original post but there were a few red flags in there :)
    bernd1972 and Twinscrewzz like this.
  13. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

Pascal No reason to apologize. Of course I used 1.34 in my calculations. I was asking what I thought was a simple question on route and reasonably priced fuel stops if in todays world we can call any diesel reasonable. I
    didn't want to turn it into anything more. Looking at the original post I understand the concern. I am fairly familiar with Hatteras Yachts as well as your posts on the Hatteras owners site.
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

All anyone had to go on was your initial post. While the standard is Key West to Cancun, you were talking Port Charlotte to Cayman. You also talked Cayman to Panama. Totally illogical for someone worrying about fuel. You were talking 1 nmpg at 10 knots which is an ideal condition dream and all on a boat new to you. Your post didn't reflect the experience you now claim.

If you had all this experience you could easily go to many resources such as Active Captain and see where to fuel. You're still insisting on avoiding Key West. Why not make it the shortest possible run to Isla Mujeres and be able to run at cruise. It can be beautiful conditions for that run but for a limited time. I'd far rather run it in 15 to 20 hours than add anything to it. Key West is your last chance to leave US waters full.

Now you say you have a captain as a resource, but you asked us. Why Belize to Panama? You don't like the countries in between? You need to learn to plan trips yourself as well as your current skills are quite weak. The first fuel stop in Panama is Boca del Toro. I would want to fuel as near there as reasonable. Plenty of fuel in Roatan. That still leaves you about a 600 nm run. There is a marina on Isla San Andres, a Colombian Island off the coast of Nicaragua. I haven't been there and know little of it other than that they claim to have diesel.

Roatan to Bocas del Toro is very makeable at hull speed if you get 0.8 nmpg. A reasonable run if you have a couple or three drums just in case. I'd strongly encourage some test runs and real fuel calculations in advance and then check and recheck in Cancun or Isla Mujeres to see if the numbers are verified.

What size crew or captains with your talk of hull speed. If just two of you, that can get very tough with overnight runs. I'd run faster during daylight where possible and I'd make more fuel stops along the way. Regardless, Roatan and Bocas del Toro would be firm in my planning. While I mentioned Belize, I'd likely skip it. I'd make a stop in Cozumel or Aventuras and leave Mexico from there with my next stop in Roatan.

A trip of Key West to Isla Mujeres or Cancun to Aventuras or Cozumel to Roatan, to Bocas del Toro only gives you one long run and that is 600 nm or so.
    Twinscrewzz likes this.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

In addition, the run and planned stop in Key West gives you a lot of time to shake the boat out, confirm your burns and speeds, and to play with idling back an engine to lengthen your range. There's ample experimentation and calculating that can be done prior to topping off just as you leave the US.
    Twinscrewzz likes this.
  16. Twinscrewzz

Twinscrewzz New Member

Old Boater. I don't profess to be a master mariner but have enough experience to know my limitations. The information you shared in this post was really what I was looking for. Thank you for that. As to the experience I "now claim" I was unaware my resume was required. Now suggesting a boat being new to me it is not as though I'm going to fly into Fla jump on the boat and take off for the canal. Also I am not against a stop in Key west and your comment that Key West to Cancun is a standard would have been a perfect response to my original post.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post I asked the question here as I thought a discussion of prefered fuel stops by those who are familiar with the trip would be useful to the board and my captain resource will be unavailable until next week. Seems you missed that. And that is not really part of the conversation is it? If I seem a bit defensive, I apologize.
    I want to thank all for your thoughts and information and now it may be time for this thread to end
    thanks again
    Mike
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  17. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Going to probably upset a few "Old Regulars" but, I'm old enough that I don't much care about that. There are too many here that can't wait to tell people they don't have enough experience, don't know what they are doing, need an expert to hold their hand at every danged turn, on and on and on. There is NOTHING special about captaining a boat, any person with an average intelligence and half a bucket of common sense can learn to do it.

Will mistakes be made, shrug, that's how we learn. Will "experts" (half the people of this forum if you ask them are experts) tsk, tsk you? That's as certain of the sun rising in the east. But, but, but, you could die.. Hot news, we are all going to die and I for one would much rather it be from trying, failing, learning and trying again,,, or not.

Someone asks for fuel stops, then give him your best ideas on FUEL STOPS, not hiring another "expert" and telling him he hasn't enough "experience". Plain and simple, get off yer high horse... And now I will get off my soap box. :)
    CWV, Zud, mapism and 6 others like this.
  18. Spellbound

Spellbound New Member

Have made this trip (3 times) utilizing a different route, object being to obtain most favorable sea conditions. Thru the Bahamas, last convenient fuel stop Flying Fish Marina (Clarence Town) Long Island. Next fuel is stop Port Antonio Jamaica by passing the Eastern most point of Cuba then direct to Port Antonio. Port Antonio direct to Colon (approximately 600nm) staying at Shelter Bay Marina.
    Twinscrewzz likes this.
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Glad that you stepped down. No need for being on top of that soap box to begin with, as in doing so you're not much better than those with the tsk tsk attitudes. The first post had enough hallmarks to warrant being called out to the nominal extent that it was. Why? Because "we're" out there on boats and have to interface with dangerously ill-prepared folks on a too-regular basis. I absolutely, positively know that I do not know-it-all, that I make mistakes. But I prepare, I study, I ask questions, listen, and then revisit my plans. But in doing so I'm careful to not be emotional about the responses that I receive when I ask. I ask, then I look for the useful information sent my way amidst the responses. I'm here to learn and to share what I know for those that need the hand, but I also know I am not here to make other posters better people along the way.

A boat this size is going to be very challenged to enjoy 1 NMPG in seas and currents. It certainly isn't going to enjoy that burn rate at 10 knots. When you blend that information into your very first post, well, you're going to get some eye rolls. Why? Do you deserve them? Maybe not, but equally "we" do not deserve to sharing the waterways with folks that may be putting themselves as well as ourselves into potential peril (via interaction).

Ask questions. Learn from the responses. Drop the emotion from having your feelings hurt. Be happy that ugly people with bad temperament are taking the time to actually respond and lend a hand. No need to try to make them better people. Focus on making yourself a better person, a better captain of your vessel. Same applies to the ugly people with the bad temperament. Yet here I am hoping that others become better people. Alas...
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I like this route as well. Only traveled it once, but it would likely be my return path if making the trip again. But that's coming off the east coast of FL...I can see the merit of the alternative for the Gulf coast...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.