Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Fuel level sensors

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by kapoc, Mar 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kapoc

kapoc New Member

Has anyone had to replace the sensor in the aft tank on a 1983 43' doesn't look like much room. Was curious to see if anyone has done it and what they used as a replacment as well as cost got the one in the aft on the blink and the Fwd probably not long for this world.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There is usually an inspection hatch right over the fuel sensors on most boats or the deck above can be lifted unless the tank is accessible from the engineroom. In the latter event using a mirror may help you work.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

No access on a 1980 - 46 w/o going in underneath.
    I don't know about the 43 but the 46 is accessible from under the deck in the rear. Once your down there it's not so bad, said the 6'1" fatman.
    Helps to have someone to hand you tools and pull you back out.
  4. kapoc

kapoc New Member

yah the 83 dosent have an access either but less room to remove the sender guess we'll figure it out.
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

aft tank

my '88 46 has an inspection port glassed over near the base of the fighting chair.

It appears that the previous owner cut the port and glassed it over after inspecting the tank or replacing the sender.

I find the inspection port a bit odd becuase there seems to be enouch clearance to inspect the tank and replace the sender without cutting the deck.

You could easily inspect the tank with one of those handheld fiberoptic inspection cameras. They are sold in home depo.

good luck
  6. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

My 43 has a small inspection port in the cockpit floor over the sending unit. Previous owner must have put it in. I have taken the front tank sending unit out, which is simple to get to, and it is this style:

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/1173-reed-switch-sending-units-unit-18-1-2-tank-depth.html

Since the rear tank is tall with only 5-6 inches of clearance below the cockpit floor, I don't think you can tilt the sending unit enough to get it out since it is a stainless rod. Worth a try before cutting a whole in the floor.

Maybe you can bend the bad one enough to get it out and possibly get this style back in with the limited clearance? http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16016-electric-fuel-gauge-sending-units-unit-4-28.html