Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Fuel gauge pegged

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, May 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Checked the wires at the sending unit and the fuel gauge...fuel gauge still pegged when key is On? Suggestions?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

SW compatible gauges, short in the pink (sender) wire.
    VDO, pink wire open to sender.
  3. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Will rerun the pink wire to the gauge then...thanks
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You did'nt mention a wire was loose.
    Then you have original VDO (euro) designed sender and gauge. Keep that in mind when ordering new senders or gauges in your future.

Or, ah, uh have you already replaced something?
  5. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

There was no loose wire...i cleaned up the connections thinking that may have been the problem....i willrerun a new wire to the gauge to see if that helps
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lets start from the beginning.
    What fuel level problems are you having? Did it ever work?
    What have you done so far?
    Did you ever short the gauge pink wire to ground?
  7. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

All I have done so far is check and clean all the connections..i have had the boat a month and it has always been pegged when you turn the key on
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

So Boomer , what was the problem? I have the same problem with mine, although it did work , it's usually pegged to full now, but does some slowly down when tank gets low. I also have had dirty tank issues with this problem gauge / tank.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

He has had some distractions. But I'd like a follow up also if he got to it.
  10. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Distractions... bahahahahaha... no, I havent given it any attention...on the list...more concerned about first start up this week....i will get back to it though...soon.....I will post the outcome when done...promise
  11. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok, you let me know so I don't have to figure it out on my own! Lol...you know'' cut to the chase'' for me! Meanwhile I'll get onto other issues/maintenance with my yacht. :rolleyes:
    Good luck with your motor. Fire that thing up! I'm sure it will be fine. Don't forget to put fuel in the tank....
  12. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Ah...roger that..they are putting in the liners and pistons right now...hope to have start up bu end of week..we will see...like capt ralph said...ground the pink wire and see if your gauges move...it might have a dirty connection on top of the tank or at the gauge...2 easy things to check and hit with a brass brush to clean them up
  13. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Update...took old unit out of tank..arm mechanism was full of crud...took fuel sender from other tank and hooked it up and it worked fine...ordered new sender off ebay...easy peasy...5 screws and 2 wire connections
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Boomer! First off nothing is easy, ya got to get to the tops of the **** saddle tanks first! Lol

Tell me how the sender comes out, I have to work on mine. I'm pretty sure I have the same one as you. Do you just undo the screws and lift it straight up and out? Or is it threaded into the tank? Where you have to turn it out?
  15. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Disconnect the wires, undo the 5 screws, and it comes straight up...may be a little tight at the pivot where the float attaches...bought my sender on ebay for $25.. while the sender is out ,stick the tank so you know how much fuel you have...may need to bend the float bar a little to get the true reading at the gauge
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Great thanks! I'm glad it comes straight up. I know I've got snot, skank, and such messing with the float.
  17. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Make sure the float doesn't hit the side of the tank or hoses when it goes up or down
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 5 hole screw pattern is not even. The screws will only go in when the sender is pointing in the correct direction. Some different float designs may interfere with a baffle or pickup tube.
    I always use the WEMA vertical senders. Never an issue.
  19. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

That is correct capt. Ralph...the screws pattern is not the same all the way around...I had to reuse my tank "cap" the sender is attached to due to the pattern being different...had to bend the arm a little sideways so it wouldnt rub the side of the tank