Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort

Fuel Coolers on Comman Rail Engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by brian eiland, Aug 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Are fuel cooling devices necessarily required on all common rail injection engines?

Quote from a friend;
    "I had serious fuel overheating problems to the extent that all 4 of my Racors melted! Had a diesel mechanic knowledgeable about common rail fix the system in Key West - he said he had never seen a common rail without fuel coolers on the return nor fuel pumps on the input side of Racors."
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Whilst I would tend to agree with the both those statements
  3. NoRudder

NoRudder New Member

fuel coolers on common rail

I guess you understand the extremely high pressure heats the fuel. Then the engine returns more than it consumes. So fuel tank volume, how much fuel is in the tank, the returns should be opposite ends from the pickups (so the fuel cools) are all factors that play a role. Nothing is ever simple. Oh, I forgot what material the fuel tank is made of and maybe where in the hull it resides (like next to the engine?).
    Sorry if I add confusion but proper engineering on the part of the engine company and the boat manufacturer make a difference.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

It should also be noted that on certain engines, fuel is used as a coolant for the electronic ECU and other 'brains' on common-rails.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I was led to believe this was the case with CAT only to later be told it flows through the ECM to monitor the temperature. (Power output is reduced when F.O. Temp exceeds set point.)
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi K1W1,

Yes, I work with Volvo Penta D12 800hp's that have a rad behind the ECU that keeps the electronics cool. Its one of the few we've had no problems with, D4/D6 have been know to overheat.

Cheers

Fish
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

attached PDF

I had this note in my mailbox, but failed to find the posting here??