Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Westport

Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Engines' started by DON GREER, Feb 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

My port is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    I am interested in the fuel consumption on any power boat in the 75 foot range running twin engines and stabilized. It would also be helpful to know the boat weight and engine size.

All information additional will be appreciated.

I will take any feed back with a grain of salt and build an overall synopsis.

Cheers……….
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

What speed, what hull form, what displacement ???? they all have an effect on fuel consumption. They can all be twin engine with stabilizers.

The faster you wish to go the more horsepower you need, The heavier a vessel is the more horsepower required to achive the same speed and the hull form also has a huge amount to do with it.
  3. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

Fuel consumption detail

The 75 foot boat I am considering :rolleyes: is semi-displacement 73 ton with soft chine operating twin engines rated 1,400 hp. I am looking for comparison of fuel consumption at 12, 16 and 20 knots for similar and/or other boats of similar size and weight. I’ll factor the generator fuel consumption separately.

Thanks…….
  4. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Broad spectrum there then.
    An averaged specific fuel consumption of 210 grammes of fuel burnt every hour, for every kiloWatt of power required would cover it. It wont help you much, but in its way its an accurate answer:)
  5. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

Soft chines doing 20 knots? Is that 1400 HP per engine?
    If you have soft chines, I think that's technically considered a full displacement.
    Semi displacement is when you have hard chines but still can not operate in the planing speed spectrum (due to lack of HP / bottom shape / keel configuration, etc...).

I got to say one thing, at 75 feet fuel consumption is going to be the least of your expense...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  6. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

once again

Thanks...that was a "trick" :D comment to see if anybody was really paying attention. There is no question about it being hard chine semi-displacement.

But that's not the point.

The simple question is: if you have a boat that is about 75 feet in length...then what kind of boat is it?...weight.. engines...stabilizers..and such...and what kind of fuel consumption do you get on YOUR boat....

Thanks...
  7. HIBANX

HIBANX Member

Here is one example

I ran a 76' Lazzara motor yacht, displacement about 100,000 pounds. She had 1150 h.p. MTU's. Cruising at 20 knots it consumed 75 gph. Hope this helps.
  8. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

Good !

Thankd, That's exactly what I'm looking for in feedback.

Cheers, Don
  9. balboa

balboa Guest

And just to compare my numbers with that Lazarra,

I ran my 132 ft, about 1.5 million pound steel trawler accross the Atlantic at about 9.5 kn. average, consuming almost 25 gallons an hour.

OK. It's apples & oranges but jeeh, what a difference full displacement makes huh?

Thorwald
  10. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

All Good

Thanks,

It's all good.

I'm considering all the options like prop type and so forth as well, to try and keep operating costs reasonable.

Cheers...
  11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Although I am running a boat slightly larger with a soft chine "semi displacement" hull, my contribution can give some clue in regards to the propulsion and hull design, which may effect fuel consumption considerably.

The boat is 95 feet long and running on Cat 32 acerts with 1825 hp each. She has a top speed of 26+ knots. She has Servo gear pitched propellors. Servo gear had design input into the hull for better efficiency. When we travel at 1100 rpm at max pitch we cruise at 11 knots and we burn 30 liters per engine per hour. She is equipped with stabilisers as well.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On an 85´displacement yacht we had a consumption of 60 liters per hour at 9 knots including one genset.

Engines were 2 x 420 hp Mercedes MTU 12 cyl and we had 2 x 33 Kw Northern Lights.

If I recall right, the consumption was cut in half at 7 knots.
  13. If you go to the websites of different engine manufacturers you should be able to find a fuel consumption graph for the engines in the boats that you are looking at. The engines do not know what lind of boat they are in, they only react to RPM and load.
  14. clnewman

clnewman New Member

64' Vantare (planing hull), 41.5 tons displacment, twin DD 8V92s @ 735 hp ea.

WOT = approx. 20 kts. @ 76 gph (both engines combined)
    1200 RPM = 11.3 kts. @ 17 gph (both engines combined)

Huge difference
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

1993 Azimut 76 - Deep vee hull - Naiads - 1000HP MTU 12V183 on fresh rebuilds - Slow cruise 13 kts. 44 gph 450 nm range 1500 gal. cap.
    Fast cruise 17-18 kts, WOT 21+ kts. Clean bottom & props - full water, light fuel, 8 people
    Mfg'ers specs: 45 tons displ.
    Sea trialed two weeks ago

Your mileage may vary
  16. nilo

nilo Senior Member

that is correct, but different hulls can achieve different speeds at a given rpm and load and this is indeed related to the efficiency of the design.
  17. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

Done And Done

THANKS for the input.....I found exactly what I need for now.

Cheers........play safe...
  18. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Hi Nilo.

The size of your boat is about the same as what I am building right now (completed in Nov this year), but your boat is 3 feet longer. I was wondering what is your exact top speed and speeds and fuel consumptions at 1500, 1600, 1800 and 2000 RPM? I would very much appreciate it if you can give me some indications at these various RPM ranges. I know that the actual performance in my yacht WILL DEFINITELY be different from yours but I can get a rough idea of what kind of operating costs it will have.

THANKS A LOT!
  19. nilo

nilo Senior Member

During sea trials we have recorded 26.8 at 10% load and 26.2 at 50% load factors. I do not have readily available the figures for different RPM levels and relative consumptions, but will let you in a short while.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

regardless of exact hull shape, weight and HP, generally speaking as soon as you exceed hull speed, your fuel flow goes up exponentially.

assuming that 75 footer will have a Waterline length of just under 70', hull speed will be just under 11kts (1.3 x sq rt LW) That will be your ideal cruising speed for best economy and range. slow down another knot, and you will probably gain an extra 10 to 15%.

on the other hand, if you exceed hull speed, your fuel flow will start going up real fast and mileage will drop like a stone. The worst speed will be around 13 to 15kts where your fuel burn maybe twice for only 2 to 4 extra kts.

hard to guess, but say you burn 20GPH at 11kts, i bet at 13 to 14kts you will burn around 40gph... Once you get it up on plane, your fuel flow will increase due to the extra HP required but at least your speed will be a higher too.