Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Delta

Fresh Water Fill on 50' Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jrp4783, Oct 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Does anyone know why Post chose to use a hose fitting connection to fill the fresh water tank? All my other boats had a deck fill port like used for the fuel fill port. I can imagine some advantages of limiting foreign substances falling into the tank but the disadvantage of potentially forgeting to turn the water off is much worse.
  2. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

My 56 has the same thing. Please remember that you water tank has a vent and if you forget the water will just flow out the vent.

I do like the fill in the cockpit sink that my Ocean had better than the Post way.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

We have , in fact, forgot about the hose once. The vent is not large enough to take full hose pressure, and we popped the framing beneath our master bed when the plastic tank expanded pretty severely. Lesson learned for us: use low hose pressure, or stay at the gauges while filling.
  4. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Yes Beau - I did the same thing when I bought the boat a few years ago. Tanks expanded and cracked a frame member under the companion way. 240 gal is a long time to wait at low fill rate so I fill it at full pressure and stay glued to the guages...
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

is there a reason not to have a standard deck fill?

btw, I blew out the fiberglass seam on one of the water tanks on my Viking by over filling it from the deck fill with a slightly larger diameter garden hose.
    after that I always make sure I fill at 1/2 pressure.
    I fixed the tank with some west system and some cloth. thankfully it did not pop the tank frame.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah it allows them to install the tank in a location that does not allow a gravity fed 1.5" ID hose to be run. IMO it's not the best way to do things for your above mentioned reason.
  7. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I like to winterize my water system and pumps with compressed air. Does anyone here blow out the freshwater fill line with a compressor?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I usually pour potable antifreeze down it, to winterize the water system and open every spicket and whatever until antifreeze (pink comes out). It's safer than blowing out every line, as you might miss a little water.
  9. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I've never had an issue with this method for 15 years. Pink in the tank and water lines is plain nasty. If you blow out the lines long enough it all comes out. Even if a tiny bit is in the lines, there is room for it to expand when it freezes.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Post installed several valves at the low points in my water system which I use to drain the fresh water. I then add some pink to the system to ensure no ice. In the Spring I attach the fresh water hose to my "dock supply" and run hose water thru the system with faucets open, pumps off for a couple a days, while I am on the boat. Clears the system nicely for me. Lower the pressure on that compressed air to no more than the relief valve?
  11. mikewheels

mikewheels New Member

When I fill my water tanks, the upper tank fills sooner than the lower tank, if the water flow is on beyond half open. If you fill them slowly, then its fine, but I am guessing there is some sort of blockage in a vent line, but I have blown on the vent line at the tank and the air comes out the cockpit overflow, along with water if the tank is overfilled. Does anyone else have this issue when filling their water tanks?
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Mike

My tanks fill in the same manner, but I don't have to reduce hose pressure. I use a 3/4 inch hose and what seems to be a "normal" water pressure from the dock.
  13. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

I hate to dig up a 5 year old thread but I figured this question was better here than starting a new thread.

On a 50 Post, how the hell do you draw water from the forward tank? I have gone through the manuals...nothing. I thought that maybe once I draw down the aft tank enough it would start to fill either by gravity, when on plane, or some other means but no. I have been unable to figure out how to draw water from this tank.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Install a cut out near you water pump. In mind the forward tank is the last to empty, if I remember correctly. I have a valve on the forward panel that I open to empty both tanks.
  15. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

Well the solution was right in front of me. It turns out that the pump does in fact draw from the aft tank first and then automatically from the forward tank. I was just being over cautious with not wanting to lose the pump prime just in case it didn’t pull automatically. It is nice when some answers are simple.