Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Four-Eighty Sea Ray Exhaust

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Jimbo1959, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

I have 2 identical 1998 Sea Ray four eighty's I'm working on. Both have 6V-92ta's, Each boat has 1 locked up engine. It has been determined that both are hydraulically locked from raw water entering through exhaust. One is stbd and one is port engine. One boat (SR1)was grounded at approx. 10-12 knots on a sand bar, Both engines shut down. Owner was able to re-start and make it home. The other (SR2)was throttled back quickly to avoid grounding and put into reverse. This boat also made it back to slip. I was able to turn the crank a little on SR2 before it would stop. SR1 I could not turn the crank at all. As it turns out SR1 broke a liner and twisted up a rod badly. SR2 is in process of being torn down now. Both have Centek mufflers. Funning thing the locked up engine mufflers are full to 8" below the turbo flange. These mufflers stand 25" tall 24" dia. 10" outlet and 8" inlet
    My question is: Has anyone ever experienced this? And does anyone have a theory as to what happened?
    One owner heard a thud at the time.
  2. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

Hey jimbo, if the mufflers full of water are only 8" below the turbo then my guess is the water shifted forward with substantial momentum as a result of the boat coming to an immediate stop upon grounding. Sound plausible?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Does:
    It's a SeaRay mean anything?
    I can't bash them to much. I have not seen any surge tubes built into anybodies exhaust systems for a while.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

5. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

Well after getting SR2 apart, found engine with 2 dropped valves and all cylinders full of sea water, but no bent rods. Very puzzling!!
    Ariel: That was our original thought as to the sea water in the exhaust, but I still don't understand why the other engine had no water in it. Especially since the owner said both engines came to an abrupt stop.
    Oh one other thing. The other mufflers were dry down to the opening. These were the 2 engine/mufflers that each boat came to shop on.