Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Fort Lauderdale to Trinidad trip

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Trinimax, Jan 13, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I was finally able to make the run from Fort Lauderdale to Trinidad on a 60 bert at the beginning of December. Made the trip with a local captain who has done this run about 40 something times

The run was about 1465 nautical miles with stops in 9 islands over a period of 10 days, with the trip being made in the following legs

Fort Lauderdale to Bimini approx 60 miles. Bimini to staniel cay approx 180miles. with a stop in Nassau for fuel. Staniel cay to Clarence town Long Island approx 130 miles Clarence town to Providenciales Turks and Caicos islands approx 200 miles. Turks and Caicos to San Juan Puerto Rico. Approx 450 miles. San Juan to st Maarten about 200 miles. St Maarten to Nevis. About 60 miles. Nevis to st Lucia about 215 miles. St Lucia to Trinidad. About 220 miles.

Seas were decent for the most part with some 8ft seas and some high wind for the Lauderdale to Bimini leg, with speeds down to 17 kts. After that it was mainly a 10-12 ft swell at 11 seconds on the outside with a beam sea which allowed us to run at 24 kts. Once we hit st Maarten it was light wind and a small long swell

first group of pics cover the lauderdale to Staniel Cay run

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  2. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

this set of pics is from the run between the T&C islands to St Lucia

Attached Files:

3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Both the boat and surroundings look beautiful. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Curious what your fuel capacity and burn rate is at the speeds you were traveling? Did you have any concern for fuel on the 450 mile leg?
  4. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Thanks Dockmaster, was one hell of a trip. really glad I got the chance to be a deckhand for this run. For this long leg we had to do some slow steaming to save fuel for that leg, we burned about 1450 gallons out of the 1800 gallons onboard. The 60 normally carried 1600 gallons fuel and this one has two additional 100 gallon saddle tanks in the engineroom. we ran for about 14 hrs at 23-24 kts at 88 gph and 10 hrs at 10 kts at 20 gph. Was glad that the estimated fuel burn was close to reality. We also had the option to head south into Dom rep if needed.
    cleanslate likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Excellent report.
    ,rc
    Trinimax likes this.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

+1.
    Trinimax likes this.
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

You took on fuel at Nassau, presumably Puerto Rico. Where else did you pick up diesel on this run?
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

That's really great! Wow what a trip! Superb photos! Very nice boat. Lol, you got me all excited.:)
    Think I like the second to the last photo the best.
    Do any fishing while motoring at slow speed? Or at all?
  9. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Took on fuel at Nassau and PR as you said, Clarence town, then Provo Turks and Caicos, st Maarten and then st lucia. Other than the Turks to PR run, generally ran 200-250 nautical miles per day burning between 700-800 gallons.

One thing to say about this trip. This was my first run on an enclosed bridge sporty. Compared to running on an open bridge of a same size. I would have to say I was way less fatigued at the end of the day, due to the less sun , salt spray and noise exposure. If I was a boater who did many long distance runs, an enclosed bridge would be high on my priorities.
  10. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Unfortunately no fishing this run. Most of our slow speed running was at night, then we hauled ass in the day.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, done the Venezuela to PR to FL many times, we had much bigger tanks than you guys. Much less stops and refuels makes it a quicker trip even at a slower speed. Agree about a proper wheelhouse, no more soggy BLT's.
  12. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Nice trip Trinimax. Next you'll be bringing down another Ocean I bet!
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

for some reason all the boat I ve run as a captain (70.84 and 116) have been skylounge models and indeed it makes a HUGE difference in fatigue on long trips. I ve done many 15 to 20 hours stints which I probably wouldn’t have been able to do with a soft enclosure.

Downside is night time visibility thru glass but no big deal

great post.
  14. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi captain pascal, definitely agree about the night time visibility. That was a challenge as the forward part of the helm just below the windscreen had some cream colored gel coat that reflected light off of the full moon against the windscreen. If I personally had an enclosed bridge and did regular night cruising I would have the forward part covered with a good dark, light absorbing material. I assume it’s this ways on the newer boats.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It is sad that lots of newer boats have not picked up on that yet.
    I was on a later Hatt MY and the steaming light was blinding all forward vision with scatter and reflections.
  16. Rerm

Rerm New Member

Was this a new build or a used boat?
  17. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

she is a 1999 60 bert, from the good days of bertram