Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Formula?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Mark Woglom, Feb 15, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    I've been on the forum for a few years, and have owned Azimut and Lazzara yachts. Recently, we sold the Lazzara in favor of a home in FL. Long story, but 68' of boat was a lot to manage for a couple in their 50's without a captain to head up the maintenance. (more importantly, the wife wanted the cats to come south for the winter!)

Fast forward. We bought a 26' Pursuit dual console, that we keep in front of our house. Great boat for tooling around the bay, but we miss cruising. We'd like to buy an "easy to maintain" express cruiser, that we can use for shorter weekend type trips, with one other couple. Something between 40' and 50', preferably.

I own a 2005 Formula 370SS, that we use on a lake up north. I bought the boat new, and the thing has been bulletproof. Almost nothing goes wrong, and the boat performs great.

Now, I'm considering a Formula 45 Yacht, or anything else with comparable accommodations. I'm no fan of the 45 Yacht aesthetics, but it has a lot to offer, and based upon all my other Formula experience, I'm confident that the boat is very well built.

These are some of our criteria:

1. Hardtop, with a windshield that meets the hardtop. I don't care to deal with canvas between the two.
    2. We'd like it to be easy to use as a day boat, so it needs to be easy to "cover up". We don't want to spend 30 mins covering up the exterior seating.
    3. It needs to have two distinct staterooms (with doors), with stand up headroom in at least a portion of each stateroom.
    4. I don't want strange/foreign systems .... if it breaks, I want parts that are readily available.
    5. Ride is critical. I want a boat that will ride well in 2-4 footers, without having to put the boat back together, and without having to see the dentist.
    6. 2010, or newer, but I could bend for the right boat.

I've looked at Sea Ray Sundancer, and the aesthetic is more to my liking. However, most all of the Sundancers don't have a dedicated 2nd stateroom, and they don't seem to have the same build quality, such as with upholstery. There were a couple of others that we have looked at, but none seemed to have all of the right combination that meets our needs.

My questions:

1. Anybody have experience with a Formula 45 Yacht?
    2. Any other suggestions?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have maintained a 48' Formula 2006 for a long time now. I'm not a fan of how it performs, it rides way bow high, and we put blocks in the trim tabs to try to get the bow down. A friend of mine took care of a 45' yacht, IPS boat and liked it. I think the Searay is a good boat and wouldn't discount it either, especially if you like it. What about a Fountain 48' Express Cruiser, fast,ride and has the functionality you're looking for. Another would be a 44' Cabo without a tower, speed and a great ride.
  3. Mark Woglom

I'm only looking at the IPS boats. Formula has only had one engine/drive option for 8-9 years, which leads me to believe "they" think it works pretty well.

Below 50', the 2nd sleeping option seems to be a low headroom cubby with a curtain ... that won't sell.

Cabo and Fountain .... Probably not enough creature comforts for the wife. I like boats, but I'm very married, if you follow my drift!
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

We had looked a lot at the Formula 40 as well as 45 prior to purchasing our first Tiara. The 45 had a nice layout and performed fine, however the narrow beam, gunwhales and slant down at the bow (near foot controls for windlass) turned us away... The gunwhales were my biggest issue. Although you can walk through the windshield, they were just too narrow for my wife to really be comfortable handling fenders and lines etc...

What budget are you trying to stay within?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

When you added IPS as a requirement that narrowed it a bit. I would try to get a sea trial somewhere in the Formula to determine if it passes what you need there. If so, you've had a good experience with them so why not just continue. It has a nice layout. The second cabin headroom is lacking at 5'8". I just have no idea how it rides in rough seas. I do have one other significant reservation on the Formula. It's fuel capacity is only 350 gallons. That gives you a range of only 250 nm at ideal cruise and 225 nm at most other speeds with as low as 183 nm at 11 knots. I guess my question there is do you see Bahamas trips in it's future?

The 45 actually started around 2006 with V-Drives. It had better speed but I'm sure poorer economy.

Among others you might consider. I know several very happy Sabre owners. You indicated you were only looking at IPS? If so that quickly eliminates Sea Ray. It also would eliminate the Viking SC's. The Tiara 50 Coupe would fit your requirements. I don't have enough knowledge of it to have an opinion. Hunt has a couple of boats in that range. The 52 would seem to meet your needs. The 44 second cabin probably would not.
  6. Mark Woglom

No. I'd consider other drives, but I'm only considering boats that are a few years old, and Formula only builds the newer 45's with pods.
  7. Mark Woglom

Probably under $500, unless I loved something. 2010 or newer, in all likelihood. Good points on the deck issues.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Then I'd add the Viking SC and Sea Ray Sundancer to my list of boats to consider.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Formula my friend maintained, the 45' was an 2006ish I think IPS boat the owner bought new. He traded it into Formula for a new one of the same exact boat around 2012, another 45' exactly like his. So he really liked the boat and my friend raved about it.

Another 45' to Consider is the regal it too has IPS, I have a customer that looked at all 3, 45' Searay, Tiara with IPS, and settled on the Regal and is happy with it, but I'd say their build quality is a step below the above mentioned 3. Tiara's are good quality and worth checking out also.
  10. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Based on your stated list of features and budget after a quick advance search here are a few ideas. All of these are 2009 (I know you said 2010, but I hate to miss something great a year older), under $500K, all 2 standing staterooms, all enclosed pilot saloon style, all easy to own and operate and mostly not too exotic.

Marquis 50 SC
    Elling LRC 49
    Formula 45 Yacht (but until recently the pilot house is not enclosed and I think this is way to similar to your 370 SS cockpit, I own a Formula 260 bowrider and I agree that they are solid, timeless and always on any list in this price/size range)
    Cruisers Canthius 45 or 48
    Navigator 4500 or 4800 (I have a Navigator Californian Venti 50, same hull as the 5100, these are serious coastal cruising platforms. Hand built in Perris CA, not the most fancy yacht in the harbour but great bang for the buck)
    Meridian 441 sedan
    Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

I think you have some work to do, have fun, #boatcrazy.

-Greg
  11. Cruz

Cruz Member

Greg beat me to it but I was going to point you towards the Cruisers Yachts 45 and 48 Cantius. I've never run one but I did put their 338 Bowrider through its paces for what it's worth and was very impressed (cool boat in its class, by the way). I've been aboard the 45 and really like what they've done. The build quality seems consistent with their rep of being solid and the interior fit and finish was, in my opinion, very good and what you would expect at that price point (all things in boat bucks being relative). I have friends with older, large Cruisers that have held up extremely well and continue to offer solid performance. Like your view of the Forumla I'm not a huge fans of the Cruisers' lines but that wouldn't be a non-starter for me either.

Perhaps bigger than you want and in a different price point, but I was extremely impressed with the Sea Ray 510 Sundancer. I think they did an excellent job of making the lower deck feel like an open loft.

I loved the Regal 44/46 Sport Coupe in theory when it first came out. Then a very good friend bought one and whenever I was aboard I always had the feeling of being disappointed in finally meeting and spending time with someone you admired from a far. Some clever design concepts but some significant flaws, in my opinion, and real trouble with the fit and finish. His was a '12 bought new.

I have always been impressed by the build quality of Formulas but have never run one of their newer, larger boats. I have owned a 1994 242SS for 20 years as an extra play toy and the thing impresses me everytime I take it out.