Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Flying Yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by walkinginshadow, Apr 29, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. walkinginshadow

walkinginshadow Member

Hi
    Found this on the web.
    It sounds ambitious project.
    I hope they get a buyer.
    More here link
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow what a concept, never heard about this before.

New designs and techonlogy are always welcome and needed, hope they get
    lift-off.:cool:
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Must be fun when the wind picks up..?
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dirigible Dreaming? With a 300-foot ceiling, what happens when the wind blows?
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Welcome to Hollywood, what's your dream?
  6. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Basically a modified Zeppelin!
  7. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Remnant of the cold war...

Back in the cold war, the Russians were very interested in WIG aircraft. They ended up getting the aviation equivalent of the IMO (basically the international powers that be in aviation) to accept that there would be 3 different classes of WIG aircraft. Class 1 is always in ground effect, class 2 up to 400' (bottom of controlled airspace in lots of places) and class 3 capable of true flight. The class 2 variants were meant to be able to run down a river, and if there was a bridge, hop over it. Class 3 is subject to full aircraft certification requirements, but (and this is the key part;)) class 2 is defined as a boat, not an aircraft. So the economics is quite different, less training, less inspections, etc.

So one can build an airplane, declare it a Class 2 WIG, and play under a unique set of rules. This is the first time I've seen it done with a lighter than air platform, it's an interesting concept. It will be interesting to see where this goes!
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

The picture on the first page of the link reminds me of something out of a Wallace and Gromit episode.......
  9. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Heh, back in the 90s I switched careers and studied aerospace engineering. One of the emphasis I mused with was with lighter than air designs because that was supposed to be the new industry for the 21st century; i.e. lighter than air luxury liners floating across North America. The only school at the time offering courses in dirigible design was San Jose State University. I came within a heartbeat of signing up, but begged off due to circumstances beyond my control.

Also, ironically enough, some history here, the US Navy had a couple of lighter than air "carriers" that sported biplanes. Both were based out of Ames airfield (now NASA Ames), about 15 to 20 minutes south from where I live (traffic depending). The hangars are still there, but the blimps are long since gone.

I think the Russians have a "hotel" in the works that's either a massive helo or a lighter than air design. Me, I think it's a novelty, more than anything else. People want to go to places, not putz around in the air. They want cruises via the water where they can dock and get out for a bit to stretch their legs, not float about. Just my opinion.

Still, it would be interesting to cruise in one for a couple of weeks. Just me :)
  10. I do not call that a yacht, for sure not. Neither we ever call a private Jet as Yacht. I think only in Star Wars they call Naboo Yacht Cruiser wonderful chromed airplane such. For me it is just a small Zeppelin, neither a Blimp, but can be. The Zeppelins had in the beginning other century Restaurant, lounges and Cabins inside, and for such they were called Airships. So, this is nothing new, maybe for a private. Then for me the denomination best which fits is Private Airship, or Private Zeppelin, because many Blimps were already Private from just one owner. The revived Friedrichshaven Zeppelin company in Constance Lake made some, but I think just one was sold to Japan, the others made some Shows or Small Passenger Tours then. It was expensive and not that successful, even with better technologies made. Then the Cargo Airlift near Brandenburg went bankrupcy and today is a big pool club inside for Tourists. so... don't think this will get a chance to survive further.
  11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

13. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Grumman Goose may go into production again!

This plane has always been a classic, and the fact there's serious focus on restarting production is great. I'd love to have a chance to experience one from the right seat!

Antilles Seaplanes, The Official Website for the G-21G Super Goose
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The Goose was popular for a while with the round engines and the rugged looks but had plenty problems and crashes over the years.

One of my co-workers died in a crash over in the Middle East attempting to ferry a turbo-goose back to the home country.
    Once ya modify a WW2 airplane with turbine engines you may be sticking yer neck too far out.

Being an old DC-3 Captain I am all for keeping old birds alive and even producing them again, if it makes sense and if it is safe.

In this case it probably is not without extensice engineer and structural analysis. (To certify the old (new) design under a grand-father clauses does not count:rolleyes:)
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Are these the seaplanes that used to 'land' at Charlotte Amalie harbour in the USVI? They came really close to the boats and cruiseships sometimes. My photos of them were mostly spray.
  16. carelm

carelm Senior Member

My father flew PBYs in WWII. He was in VP-33 which primarily flew night bombing missions. The planes were painted flat black hence the name Black Cats. There aren't many planes or pilots left anymore sad to say. He died two years ago on Christmas Eve.
  17. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Goose thoughts

Interesting points! I wasn't aware of the crash history... or I should say I was aware but chalked it up to the crash record of flying boats in general. Add salt water to the equation and there's a slew of recurring maintenance issues too.

I think the whole "flying boat" concept is great, the old Pan Am clippers must have been a hoot. But the reality is that flying boats are a real challenge at just about every stage of the life cycle, which is probably why you just don't see them that much.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Chalk's probably thought there was enough analysis.
  19. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member