Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Flying into St Maarten

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I have been flying into St. Maarten Airport for over 30 years and they never ever installed an ILS (Instrument Landing System) a basic approach guidance tool: The first pax jet ditched at sea was a diversion from St. Maarten because they could not get on the deck with the stupid NDB approach. (ALM flight 980)
    No surprise the bridge has not been widened either, the same videos of yachts crashing into the sides of this bridge has been around since I discovered the internet.
    The Dutch folks need to take over, the natives are going lazy.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i didn’t know about that one but three missed NDB approaches ?? And fuel mismanagement. I’d say the crew messed it up badly

they still don’t have an ILS there? IT took them a long time to get a VOR DME, early 90s I believe.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

SXM has an RNAV with an MDA of 500' and a VOR with and MDA of 400'
    While not an ILS it's plenty vertical on most days. As far as vis, fog is rare and reduced vis in heavy precip is not something you want to go into even with an ILS. Not on that runway, at least I am assuming we're talking a transport category AC. Small stuff is another story.
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Yup. Looking up at the fuel gauges is the first thing you do when you go missed then you do some math. Then you divert. But, there are PLENTY of stories of crews going down the rabbit hole ending in a ball of (brief) fire. So there but for the grace of the aviation gods go I.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

For those not remembering this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

like the Avianca that crashed on Long Island NY after a missed approach at JFK...
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Down there the only time you re going to get close to minimums is in a squall/TS. And yes the rwy will be very wet :). In years flying down there, I think the only time I had to shoot a full ILS to near minimums was in Guadeloupe in summer while a tropical wave was going thru
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

All true, but I’ll take a good old ILS any day, if low on gas, ride it all the way down to the deck, then go the bar and have a strong one.
    Half of those DC-9 pax could have been alive with an ILS. (“Instrument Landing System” for the seafarers, although quite a few dudes here are aviators, even Capt. J if memory serves me right)
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, done a few of those, once with the FAA and NTSB onboard in St. Thomas
    after I picked ‘em up in St. Barths investigating an accident for the company
    I worked for. (Virgin Air. Not to be confused with Bransons outfit, in fact he paid of the name so there be no confusion among the pax calling to book tickets. New name was Air St. Thomas)
    With the authorities in the Piper Aztec we approached STT when a thunderstorm rolled across the airport, low-no visibility: go around, come back, another squall, go around again. Gas gets lower, feds getting a little paler for each go-around, but no way I was going to bust VFR minimums with all these
    important inspectors riding front row.
    Made it down with fuel reserves ok on the third try. (Yes, had gas and plan B, Spanish Virgin Islands, STX. All good)
    Went to the bar in St, Thomas and had a few drinks that evening, long day.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Remember that crash really well: I was in the airplane behind the Avianca 707:
    (Worked for Evergreen International Airlines back then, copilot on a 747 freighter, DOD work and commercial cargo.)
    Lousy day at JFK: We were in holding patterns for 90 minutes behind the 707
    that was about to run out of gas: They were on fumes, but being macho Latinos, they did not stop in Miami for gas on the way from Columbia to New York. (We came from Chicago, we knew the JFK weather was down on its ass so we put on 5 hours reserve fuel, hence we were bored to death circling holding patters behind the 707)
    They were cleared for the approach but had neither flight director nor auto pilot, got off the ILS and had to shoot a missed approach. Going base and downwind, they ran out of fuel and crashed. No fire, because no gas.
    Some pax survived, some died and were found to be “mules”, carrying condoms with cocaine in their intestines.
    Long story, but the Captain did not speak English, the young inexperienced Copilot was on the radios: The Captain told the Copilot to declare an emergency, the F/O instead decleared a Priority, at the time there was no such thing in the FAA and FCC vocabulary and they did not recognize it: “Emergency or Nothing”.
    The instant those guys crashes, we were cleared to land.
    Once on the taxiways, in the rain at night, everything stopped, big ground hold. We were allowed to taxi to the gate, but 50-60 planes waiting to take off were told to stop and the airport was closed.
    We got in the operations office a few minutes later and saw on the news that a 4-engine Boeing crashed close to JFK.
    We jumped on the phones to call the family and tell them it was not us, we are safe and sound. (Also on a 4-engine Boeing)
    Long day, went to the bar and had a few drinks that day evening..
  11. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Avianca became a case study, both for us: "use the word EMERGENCY" and for ATC. It was one of those rabbit holes for those guys. The macho Latino remark says more about you than about them, as you very well know there's plenty of Amurican god fearin' white boys that have augered in airplanes doing stupid ****. Here but for the grace of Thor go we.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

wow, stepped on sore, or sour toe didn’t I? :D
    Here is another case study of Latino Macho, not stopping for fuel.
    https://www.thecut.com/2016/12/why-would-a-pilot-let-his-plane-run-out-of-fuel.html
    Sure white dudes did it too, look at this thread: DC-9 ditched at sea.:confused:
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Paul kept the feds busy... his chief mechanic used to do the annuals and our own Aztec and he was always commenting how nice it was compared to his own airline’s. (Late 80s early 90s)

I flew on Virgin Air a few times over the years, between low hour pilots and minimal maintenance it was a scary experience
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ha, you knew Paul?
    Quite the character. I was his assistant Chief Pilot and a company instructor/ check airman. Checked out on all 5 types of his airplanes.
    Never dull, but no future at that company, either you crash and die, or lose your license. Hard work however, even fighting to get paid was interesting. Had 5 flying jobs in the Virgin Islands, while living on a sailboat.
    (Back to boating now, Carl says thanks, about time)
    If one of these outfits went BK, I pulled the anchor and sailed to another island, jumped in my 9’ Dyer Dhow dink and rowed to shore with a rolled up resume in my shirt pocket. Usually hired on the spot: Came from Alaska, flew bush up there summer and winter without bending metal, flying in the Caribbean was easy after that, and warmer. Good old days.
    Back to boating, sorry for the diversion, probably booze related..
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Paul S or Paul W or Paul B???
    Oh ****, I mean Crapp (not family)...
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  16. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I know quite a few that JUST made it and managed to keep it out of the dirt, and the papers. 33 years at a large airline you see things.....
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

But of course, been there, done that, 19 flying jobs with big and small outfits:
    Worked for the worlds smallest airline (One DC-3: Virgin Island International Airways, and for the worlds biggest airline AA, 941 Jets)
    Now doing boats: www.odincharters.com
    Come sail with me. ⚓️
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

DC3 / 4s rule.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, fun job hauling those DC-3s around: Felt like I was in a movie from the 1940s: Tailwheel airplane, steep incline to get to the cockpit, big wide pax seats, no overhead bins.
    Checklists in the cockpit was all called for with hand signals, too noisy to talk, or be heard.
    Made Captain on the -3s when I was 29, fun days and probably at the peek of my flying abilities, it has gone downhill ever since with more automated planes with glass cockpits, auto throttles, flight computers and all that..:confused:
  20. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Norseman, did you ever meet Jim Mcgoffin when you were in Alaska? He was a friend of mine who started Interior Airways.