Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

Floor joist question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Richard702, Mar 30, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Richard702

Richard702 New Member

Hello friends I have a question that I for some reason can't find on the internet. The 2x4s joists holding up my floor are rotting away and in some spots can't support my own weight. I was wondering if I can replace my rotting wooden joist with a thick gage metal joist? And if so does anyone have tips on how to approach this.

Thank you,
    First time yacht owner
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We rebuilt a deck using fiberglass angle and fiberglass box tubing many years ago. Still going strong.
    I would stay away from steel components if you could.
    Rebuilding with wood sealed in epoxy worked for us on another project also.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I built my salon floor in a 53c using aluminum box channel. I welded hangers into place to receive cross members so that it could all be disassembled for major mechanical access. I used a center beam of light gauge 2x6, and from it used light gauge 2x4's running fore-aft on 16" centers. Really worked out well.

Stop the leaks that are rotting the wood...
  4. Richard702

Richard702 New Member

Can you send me a link or pic of what you mean by fiberglass box tubing and angle. Im still new to all this so I don't know what that is.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at WednesdayMar 30, 20222.10.08 PM.jpg
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Bedford reinforced plastics supplied all of the FRP structural shapes on a total gut machinery space refit a few years ago. I checked multiple suppliers at that time and found Bedford to be the most reasonable price wise, delivery schedule and OTG shipping expense. I used FRP products from Bedford for the engine bulkhead furring, engine room decking sub frames 2 x 2 x 1/4 pro-form L angle and 4 x 4 x 1/2 wide flange beam for the ER overhead beams /main saloon sole soft patch. FRP pricing is or was similar $$ to aluminum in 2018 with three times the load strength. Photo is of the ER decking sub frames. Google Bedford Reinforced plastics and look at their "Pro Form Shapes" section for product info, sizing and price.
    IMG_0209.JPG