Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking

FLA Battery Voltage

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by evan dailey, Oct 14, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. evan dailey

evan dailey New Member

I have 6 Trojan FLA batteries, L16-AC's. They provide about 1300 ah. No problem charging from engines, however I am a little concerned on shore power.

I have a new Magnum inverter/charger that puts in max, about 135 amps. After the charger goes through its cycles, the batteries get to 100% SOC. I assumed they go to float, however, it appears that the charger turns off, and the batteries over 12 hours go from 13.4 volts to 12.7 at which time the charger turns on and brings them up to 13.4. During this process the SOC may read as low as 98%. There is very little if any load on the batteries while on shore; perhaps bilge pump occasionally.

Is this proper, or is there a setting on the charger I need to adjust?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I luv those big brute 6V batteries. I recall they are flooded batteries.
    Keep an eye on the electrolyte levels till you get this charge cyclic thing figured out.

I would recommend some deep diving into the manual. Selecting battery type and charge profile.

A cell hydro test when the level goes a bit low and then, a good load test.
    Also a DVM on all the batteries and cables looking for resistance or V drops.
    A direct call to Magnum while in front of the op panel would be next.