Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

First Boat: Express Cruiser or Trawler?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by easygoer13, Jul 24, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

Hi All,

question that I am sure has been asked many times over....Express/Sport cruiser or Trawler ....I am looking for something to just run along the local So California coast with the occasional trip to Catilina...Something to spend long weekends on or a week aboard at the dock...Also Gas or Disel....I am not a speed guy just looking to relax and be comforatble....

All thoughts welcomed
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

they both have pros and cons, it really comes down to what you want.

the biggest issue with Expresses is the cave like cabin. Once you're down below, you're in a cave with no view... if you dont' spend a lot of time/overnight aboard then it's not much of an issue but since you intend on spending overnights, week ends, etc... then you probably want to avoid an express.

Trawlers are great if you want good economy and dont' mind going slow. Again, it depends on how far you will be going and how important your time is. if you're just going a few miles away then a trawler will work just fine. If your typical week end run is 50 miles each way, then 8 kts means a 6 hr run each way. In this case a faster boat is better option. a flybridge boat may be a good alternative, either a convertible or a "fast trawler" which has the ability to run 18 kts if needed/desired.

generally speaking once you get over 35/38 feet diesel start making sense especially in an area where you may be using the boat year round. Diesel cost more upfront, maintenance is usually a bit higher so you need to run at least 100hrs a year to make it worth it.
  3. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

Thank you for the response...as for time I am just going to be cruising and the ride getting there is part of the enjoyment.....yes it would be great to have the option of more speed but if it means less comfort...I side on comfort...I have no desire to go faster than 20 even if I could.....so I want to get the most comfortable boat I can.....I am looking for value so I am willing to make trade off's if in the big picture they make sense
  4. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

It would help if you mentioned how much you want to spend. Express cruisers and trawlers are different breeds. I've seen people who claim speed doesn't matter get unhappy with their new trawler when they realize how slow it really is. Trawlers are designed for making economical long distance passages where time is not an issue. Express cruisers are usually used for short distances where time is an issue and cost is not. Both can be very comfortable. The cave like interior on express cruisers means the cockpit layout is important because that is where you will spend a great deal of time. Good canvas is also important on the cockpit. If you can I'd charter both and see what you like most. Years ago I had a Sea Ray 36' Aft Cabin that was pretty nice. Our boat was diesel and underpowered. If I had to do it again I'd probably do gas in that size.
  5. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

Thank you.

Speed being honest scares me so I am likely to not care that much. Speed for me is anything 25 plus. Price I am seeing both styles priced comparable for similar age and size. Diesel seems to be more but not much however fewer are around.

I am looking for something 34 plus. I am seeing many boats in my price range of 50K.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The type of usage you state says Sport Cruiser. Much more comfortable hanging on in the marina or spending a few days aboard. Don't worry about the speed. Unless you're looking at something over powered (gas guzzler) you're talking cruising speeds in the area of 23 to 26 kts which is very comfortable yet fast enough to get you home frome Catalina before a storm hits, and you can always pull the throttles back. Express are faster, trawlers are too slow for what you describe. Trawlers in that class will also have you wallowing in a following sea, a feeling you won't enjoy, especially coming into an inlet. Much better to have enough speed to stay on one wave.
    At 34' you're talking gas. If you cross 38' start looking at diesels. Diesels are a lot more $, but it comes back to you, especially at resale. Not necessarily on a boat less than 38' however, and gas will kill you at resale over 38'. Hope that helps narrow it down for you a bit.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with this as well and you can always go at hull speed and conserve fuel. One option may be to look at a power cat such as the Lagoon 43' They have a lot of room,. are stable at rest, and fuel efficient.
  8. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

Thank you ...Very much appreciated
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a very good idea for what the OP has in mind. He's a list of Mfgs. I've heard good things about the Mares and Lagoons. http://www.rbbi.com/links/boatmanufacturers.htm#cat
  10. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Ahoy Easygoer13 (gotta love that number)

Due to your mentions in this thread... I recommend you closely look at Tollycraft 34’ and 40’ tri cabin boats... I own a fine condition 1977 34’ and (we) feel it is truly a Great Craft – well built, champion lay out, top sea-keeping ability, and darn roomy too... inside and out Visit Yachtworld website and simply search Tollycraft. Peruse the picts... Tolly’s are affordable, attractive, and comfortable; also providing extensive product last ability! With pair of top condition 350 cid 255 hp gassers I can cruise at hull speed (about 6.3 knts) and get 2.5+/- n-miles per gal. Or, I can go onto full plane, at 16 knts still getting about 1 n-mile per gal. Or, when necessary, I can open up the throttles to about 4,300 rpm (4,500 is WOT) and do about 22 knts - I have never had to hold at that high rpm long enough to calc n-miles per gal; I’d imagine ½ n mile per gal is not out of the question! Anyway – ENJOY YOUR BOAT SEARCH – W.
  11. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

Thank you all....Some good things to consider...I think I am going to be open to both styles and find the right boat and situation that makes sense for me....each style has pro's and con's and I can be flexible
  12. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

14. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Ahoy - 13

I agree with a lot that has been said re propulsion sources (i.e. gas / diesel) and about various boat makes/brands/types/designs... as well as many other professional mariner comments that experienced boat owners and Captains have made in this thread and throughout the forum.

That said; from experience, I feel that although some brands/models/makes of diesels have potential to last considerably longer than gas engines... even with the best make diesel engine that is not always the case, especially in used boats. In like kind, even the best make of gasoline engines can fail prematurely in used boats. Reason for premature failure that may occur on both engine types is usually simply improper usage care and maintenance schedules.

Sooooo... When you begin to fall in love with a specific boat and get that BIG ITCH to purchase, I recommend the two following items:
    1. Have a WELL established Marine Surveyor go over every piece of the craft with a fine-tooth-comb!
    2. Have a VERY qualified Marine Mechanic survey every portion of the running gear, including but not limited to clinical motor oil tests and transmission fluid tests.

If you can be present during survey – all the better! Stick right with the surveyor and ask as many questions as you feel pertinent. You just might get some real insights from qualified surveyors that help you with your total boating experience.

These two survey items do cost a bit... but... they are so important to provide you with clear knowledge on the used craft you are about to purchase and they may give you substantial leverage regarding getting the seller to accept a more affordable price, due to survey revealed repair/re-fit circumstances that you might need to address sooner rather than later, or, as survey situations may reveal - even right away! And, if the boat/deal just doesn’t seem quite right... don’t be afraid to walk away... especially in today’s market there are plenty of Good Condition used boats for sale at affordable prices. Personally, when I purchase a boat it usually takes me from one to three years to locate the craft I want, by having it fit my list of criteria that I require at that time of purchase.

Then - if surveys are acceptable, price is affordable, and you simply can’t live without purchasing a specific boat... Do It and Enjoy! My last recommendation is to always-always-always remember that timely, repeat maintenance on all portions of a boat is what keeps them afloat, well powered, and with the lowest ongoing costs. Good Maintenance = Happy Owner(s)! :D :D

Best Luck – W.
  15. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

A big Thanks to all for your input and direction.

Totally new to boating so my insights are very limited. Surveys are something that I will definitely not purchase without doing.

If all things are equal I will do diesel however if its the right boat 38 ft or less gas can work.

I am just looking to cruise along the So California coast. Going to dock in Marina Del Rey.

I just want comfort.

Again Thank you all.... :)
  16. m2m

m2m Senior Member

Just my 2 cents worth. if you are streching your budget for this purchase I would lean toward gas engines as diesel repairs are very expensive. I fully understand the pros and cons of gas verses diesel and would purchase diesel if I had the resources but wouldn't shy away from gas if my budget was tight. A lot of routine maintainence on a gas engine can be done by a relative novice not so with a diesel. Resale is a concern but to me, fun on the water is the number one prority.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I disagree on routine maintanence. Routine maintanence consists of oil changes, fuel filters, and raw water impellors on a diesel, possibly cleaning/changing the air filter. All pretty easy to do

For a gas, add spark plugs, wires, belts, manifolds and risers, and the list goes on in addition to the things needed on a diesel.......
  18. m2m

m2m Senior Member

The only point I am trying to make is the cost, is it cheaper to replace injectors or plugs? Can the average person replace plugs? Yes! Can the average person replace injectors? No! Hence you hire a mechanic result more money.I have handed yard bills to first time diesel owners with my hand on the phone ready to call 911 for a heart attack.
  19. easygoer13

easygoer13 New Member

I think for me either gas or diesel would work fine. each has pros and cons....I think the bigger goal is finding the right boat that fits me.

I am in no hurry so I am going to be patient and finds what is best.

I will say I appreciate the opinions shared and Thank you to W Artur for the chat.

I will say from what I have seen if price was not on the budget that it is. Those cats look really nice.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sometimes, what you spend with the left hand, you take in with the right. Those cats tend to sip fuel, and at the price of fuel these days a lot of purchase money can be made back in fuel savings. We run twin 440hp Yanmars in a Formula 40PC my employer got recently, and our last 2 fuel stops calculated a fuel burn (including a 5.7KW gen) at 11.5 and 14.75 gph average. I'd estimate our cruise burn rate at a little over 20gph. His old boat was a 28' Chaparral with gas and that burned about 29gph, and had a beast of a time getting on plane when he carried a crowd. At currently $4.65 per gallon you can see the savings. Really though, the difference between gas and diesel that you should be considering is in the size of the boat. A 37 or bigger sedan bridge with gas will have a hard time getting on plane unless you have big gas guzzling motors. It will also be a hard boat to resell. You can get away with gas on a 37 Express if they're big enough, but then you'll be paying the price at the pump. Considering power vs; fuel burn vs; resell-ability gas takes you to about 34'. Then you enter a no man's land to 40' where diesels aren't fully appreciated at resale, but the gas motors are thirsty suckers. Once at 40' you'll have a hard time reselling a boat with gas motors, they'll suck a ton of fuel, won't give you range, and cost you a fortune in maintenance because they're being over-worked. Of course these are all generalities, and every boat is different. When you narrow down to a certain boat or two it will be much easier to speak specifically.