Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for JetForums

Fincantieri 80.4-meter Superyacht Project 'SkyBack'

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by discokachina, Mar 25, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Here is a rendered video of Skyback doing her Transformer thing.

It looks like she is going to be a real head turner!
  2. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I think it would be my new favorite if it ever gets built. I love the idea of being able to use the outdoor spaces even during inclement or cold weather. It seems it would greatly increase her cruising grounds, for those that spend much time on deck.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I agree, it looks great in the render but most likely a nightmare for the engineering staff of the yard and a big figure on the final bill of sale. And I am sure, it will be the cause of major headaches for the chief of that boat.

Just remember the original helicopter hangar of the Amels yacht Ilona. Very innovative, looked great in the render but never really worked even under normal operation and it killed a crewmember. Finally it was removed and turned into a swimming pool. Will say, not erverything that looks great, works great or is usefull.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

And as I learned more about this incident, including the arrogance in engineering at Amels, I discontinued covering this builder and closed their forum on YF.
  5. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

And they are offering a similar type of hangar with such an open lift on their fast support vessel 6711. Luckily nobody has ordered it up to now. And I personally have experienced the content of your sentence with them too.

Some people are so superior, they just know it better.
  6. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Sorry gang, if I had know about this I would not have posted the video.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

No worries David. The Ilona incident isn't related to Fincantieri, who truly has the engineering expertise to pull off a myriad of transformer operations.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think a sliding/telescoping greenhouse is substantially different from a helicopter hangar with an elevator, structural doors, etc. The "convertible top over a pool concept" is already fairly common on cruise ships (and Fincantieri certainly has experience with those)... this concept just looks like a much tidier, higher-end version of that.
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

A sliding greenhouse on the top deck of a large cruise ship is a different story than this higly complicated, delicate and hiding away piece of equipment. I was just trying to say, that it is a pretty long way from a render of a designers idea to being a practical part of an ocean going mega yacht. Somebody has to take that risk and pay the final bill. The idea itself is great, if it works. The large yachting world is always hungry for new extravagant conceptions and crazy designs and ideas.