Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Fiberglassing over front windows

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by hpm1, Apr 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hpm1

hpm1 New Member

I have a 46' Bertram SF and would like to fiberglass over the front windows. What is the correct way to go about this as far as: remove window glass or not, use plywood or coremat or ??, how to bond to aluminum frame. I have experienced fiberglass men working on the boat but I want to make sure this is done right.
  2. Pescaloco

Pescaloco New Member

Why would you want to leave the aluminum frames in place ?

It would seem that removing the complete window and frame, grinding back 4 to 6 inches on the outside then installing a cored fiberglass plug. Fill, fair and repaint. Not sure how the interior joinery is but it also should be removed and the plug glassed in a similar fashion on the inside.

The windows on most boats do provide structural support, so to me using core mat would be a bad idea. Plywood and fiberglass or a foam core and glass would be advisable.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Why is my question, but regardless that, as Pescaloco said, pull it all, make some structural glass "I posts" to fit in where the window posts were, make some foam core plugs to fit in the holes. Glass it all over tying it into the surrounding glass with a 10:1 scarf, inside and out, fair and finish. I don't really see the point though.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

If Resale Is A Concern

People have very strong feelings about front windows in convertible sportfishers. Like galley up or down there is usually no grey area. While it's true that a lot of new boats don't have front windows, most buyers in the market for older 46' Bertram type boats want front windows. Your project may have a negative impact on resale. You could keep a nicely tailored Stamoid cover in place. Unless you are going to reconstruct the front of the salon. New entertainment center, galley storage, etc. Just a thought.