Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Failed Fresh Water Pump

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by JeffH, Jan 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JeffH

JeffH Member

The fresh water pump has failed on my 1983 46 SS. I can't see the plate on the pump. It's a Keystone pump, is the only label I can see at this point as I haven't removed it yet. Anyone know what horse power these pumps are? The pump appears to be original. Any other brands recommended?

Thanks.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

AC or DC? I like the Mach5 pumps from headhunter.........
  3. JeffH

JeffH Member

It's AC.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You may be looking at a Keystone / Emerson electric motor sticker. Not the whole pump model number.
    Please send a few pictures. Maybe someone will recognize the pump assembly.

If it's Vac, verify if it 115 or 230 Vac.

Skippy J is correct, the best Vac water pumps these days are from HeadHunter.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree about the mach 5 with one caveat... they do not like heat so when installed in a hot engine room they will occasionally throw an error. Reason is that they have a temp sensor that trips is the water is too warm.

An alternative for engine room installation is a basic shallow well pump. A littel noisy but very reliable and a fraction of the cost
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, but I honestly absolutely hate the changing water pressure and resulting change in water temperature in the shower with the shallow well pumps and their typical cut on cut off switches. The shallow well pumps are cheaper, no doubt.
  7. CR CRUISER

CR CRUISER Member

I think that there may be a reset button on the control panel of the pump. I've been able to get a couple going just by doing a reset.
  8. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I had a shallow well pump on my Viking; with an expansion tank there was no issue of changing pressure. Got both the pump and X-tank from Sears. Ran the pump off the inverter when not on shore or genny power.