Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

eye irritation

Discussion in 'Sunseeker Yacht' started by markg, Jul 1, 2008.

1. markg

markg New Member

To all

I have a sunseeker manahattan (2006) that I launched last year.
    I am looking to see if anyone has had issues with burning sensations
    in their eyes after spending time in the cabin . My guess is the sun is
    hitting certain spots in the cabin and emitting certain irritants that causes
    this issue.
    Does anyone have any suggestion or experiences with this??

Thanks
    mg.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sounds strange with the sun theory, but this would be the easiest to check anyway. Just darken the windows, or spend time there on a rainy day.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is likely to be Formaldehyde. This is a common problem in motorhomes and mobile home/trailers. It is used to produce glues used in the manufacture of particleboard, plywood, veneers, and other wood products. It can irritate the eyes and mucous membranes, resulting in watery eyes. When the temperature rises it is most pronounced, such as a trailer that has been sitting in the sun, locked up, with no ventilation. Maybe try opening up the boat up and letting it breathe for a few days?
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

2006 might be early for this particular irritant.
    As manufacturers focus on the Middle East as a market, some have come to terms with Anthrenus flavipes otherwise known as the carpet beetle, and have used a chemical in some wood products and furniture to keep these pests at bay. For most people the chemical is not a problem but for others it is quite nasty. Check with Sunseeker to find out if they have been treating their interiors with something specific for carpet beetles. Sorry, I don't have the name of the chemical at hand, but it's specific to that issue.