Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Express vs convertible

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Knight, Oct 18, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Knight

Knight Member

Help me shed some light on the advantages of ether. Commom sense tells me the express is easier to handle not to mention easier on the body from no climbing. i dont see many convertibles on the market im assuming from low production. Are there any issues from Cobo that needs to be of any concern. Thanks
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That's such a wide open question, that it's really impossible to answer. We don't know what size you're thinking, what use, what boats or types of boats. You mention Cabo, but not sure where that fits in your thoughts. Convertibles and Express boats are designed for very different purposes.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Express
    Advantages-closer to the people fishing, easy to see what's going on in the cockpit, cockpit or galley or head are all pretty close from the helm, more stable.
    Disadvantages- less visability forward when running. more clutter in your way looking forward (windshield + strataglass, tower legs, bow rail. Noisier as engine room is under your feet.

Flybridge- much better visibility forward and to the side, and all around the boat. Quieter. More space inside the boat.
    Disadvantages- rocks more at the helm, further away from everyone and everything, up and down a ladder.

No, Cabo built a very high quality boat. Best production boat in their size range at the time they built them.
  4. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

It all depends on what your planned use is. Since you have not stated the size of cabo, I am going to use the 40 as an example since they came in both a convertible and express version. I have spent a good bit of time fishing on the 40 express powered by c 12 cats and we have been out in some pretty bad seas and the ride is impressive.

The convertible has 2 cabins and 1 an half heads with a large salon and galley. this boat will sleep 4 in beds and 2 more on the couch. The express has a single cabin and single large head and shower with a settee with a backrest that lifts to convert into a bunk. Note top bunk not really suitable for a full size adult. The convertible wins hands down with regards to sleeping accommodation.

For normal fishing for wahoo and dolphin it was nice to captain the express from the helm deck since I was able to be close to the action and be able to help out with the fishing. This is not practical in a convertible.

For billfish tournament fishing we would run the boat from the tower, and in rough seas, that is anything but fun. I would take being on a flybridge over being in a tower since your visibility is almost as good as being in a tower and you are much more secure and comfortable.

Also lastly as captian J said, for normal running its much easier to run from a fkybridge as your visibility is better and you could see debris in the water much better etc.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Where will you be using the boat, how will you use the boat (fishing or cruising), how many people will you typically have, how old...

Fishing aside, I don't fish so don't know much about it...., if you spend a lot of time aboard for weekends and overnight, the FB is a much better choice. More light, better views, etc...

If you or your group are older, that ladder will get old very quickly. Or if you have young kids.... Larger groups, the express maybe better... Just two to four, the FB is th best seat in the house.

If you re in place where you ha r to clear bridges, the Express will be more convenient....

Personally I woudlnt own another express ever... Now that I got out of the cave, I don't want to go back there. It's like gas vs diesel, once you re used to diesel you can't go back to gassers
  6. Knight

Knight Member

Well im in my 40s. I will cruising the bay fishing and pleasure. However im only 10 miles from the atlantic. Im looking at 35 to 45ft. I love the no climbing but not the noise. When I first started looking I liked the MY from open well lit space, but fishing is limited. Im guessing an express is easier on fuel? I feel my guest being comfortable is the most important underway and fishing.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

What is your boating and fishing experience? If it's somewhat limitied, perhaps you'd benefit from some charters of boats like the ones you're considering. It would be terrible to select a type boat and then realize immediately after buying it there was something major you really disliked about it. As Trinimax pointed out, even the type fishing you do makes a big difference.

What waters are you going to use the boat in? How many people typically on board? How long will you be on it at a time, how much usage a year, how many nights spent on the boat? Will they be anchored or marina?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 40' express and FB are great riding boats, as is the older 45' express and newer 44' express. Both the 40
    and 44' HTX (hardtop with glass windows are very nice boats). The 35' and 43'FB are some of Cabo's oldest hull designs and not the best riding but still better than most others and the 35' can be wet. Man's will be quieter and a touch more fuel efficient, but that comes at a price of costlier maintenance over the cats. The 40' HTX and FB Zues is easy to dock, considerably quieter and much more fuel efficient but zues is also costlier to maintain.
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

There are some convertibles and probably even more "sedan bridge" boats out there with stairs to the flying bridge, instead of ladders.

FWIW, we tried moving from a flybridge boat to an express boat... didn't like the reduced visibility and didn't like living in a cave. Moved back to a flybridge boat -- with stairs.

-Chris