Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Exhaust Temperature Alarm

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by mikekomm1, Apr 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mikekomm1

mikekomm1 New Member

I'm about to install an exhaust temperature alarm on my Carver with twin Caterpillar 3208's. There are two popular products that I'm considering from Borel Mfg. and Aqualarm. Both products use a band that clamps around the exhaust after the mixer. The Borel alarm trips at 165F and the Aqualarm trips at 200F, both of these cannot be correct for the application. If 165F is the correct temp for this application, then Aqualarms product at 200F will not trip early enough and engine damage may already be taking place. If the 200F setting on the Aqualarm product is the proper setting, the Borel 165F product will set off early false alarms. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

I've installed both and my personal preference is the Borel but both work. In the event of a raw water flow loss the time difference between 165 and 180 will probably be less than a second, no big concern there. I was delivering a boat equipped with a Borel and had a plastic bag get sucked on a strainer cutting off flow and I heard the change in exhaust note, as my slow cranial CPU registered what that meant and I was reaching for the lever, the alarm went off. Was quick enough even the impeller survived!
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I use the Honeywell strap on style fully adjustable to suit the specific application. Been good for a many years test regularly.
  4. LAM

LAM New Member

Take a look at the Spa Technique gauges, installed the Dual EGT gauge couple years ago and very happy with it. Stainless probe that mounts in the elbow. Easy connection. They also make a boost gauge. I looked at the two you mentioned and this is far superior.

You can buy a separate sound alarm, but can set up gauge with color flashing and specify warning temps. Good company to deal with as well.

http://www.spatechnique.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=27

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018