Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

Exchanger ???

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by John Plasha, Oct 18, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Plasha

John Plasha New Member

Can anybody tell me what this piece of equipment in this picture is? I just had a diesel engine survey preformed on a 30 Luhrs Open with Cummins QSB 5.9 380 HP engines and the attached picture was one of 20 +/- included in the report. There was no explanation with the picture but a friend told me it looks like an exchanger. There was a note in the recommended action items section that suggested a cooler and exchanger service but if that picture is in fact an exchanger it looks like it needs replacing to me and not just a service. We sea trialed the boat for at least 2 hours from idle to WOT and the engines preformed flawlessly. Any ideas??
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Looks like it could be a heat exchanger. I wouldn't rule out cleaning based on that picture. Most of what you are seeing is a swollen gasket and a bunch of flaking paint. I'd have it removed and sandblasted. Then open it up and decide if it can be cleaned and pressure tested.