Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

European CE Rating/ Category Question

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PremierPOWER, Dec 19, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

Obviously I know the difference of the ratings in terms of wind/ sea conditions that each category is “rated” for, but where can I find the requirements for each category? Design wise, what exactly differentiates an A from a B, B to C, etc?

I’m in the market for an owner operated ~60ish fly bridge yacht. I’m mostly limited by beam, as I can only extend 25’ out from my seawall, which includes the 6’ concrete dock and 12” piling. That, puts it at 18’ at the most.

I really like the function and utility of the Galeon 640, but it is a B rated boat. My mind automatically asks “ok, what cheaper things did they do to achieve the B rating than say the Hatteras 60 or Princess 62? I do know that one requirement is something as simple as having a built in manual bilge pump. So could/ would something simple like that keep a boat at a B rating? Obviously that example is far fetched, as I can’t see a manufacturer leaving out something so simple. I’m guessing there is a lot that is left out. Also, is it just features like this or is there also construction/ build requirements for the overall Hull?

There seems to be very little info out there, at least from what I have found.

All this being said, I’m not looking for a Nordhavn passage type boat. This is for SW Florida trips locally, to the keys, and to the Bahamas. Obviously a B rated boat is fine for this, but it still has me curious in the build requirements. Appreciate any feedback!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First time I've ever heard this relating to boats. CE is kind of Eurpoe's version on UL. I'd be more incline to consider price, sea keeping abilities, range, motors, equipment, fit & finish and reputation, etc.. It sounds like you're looking for that info boiled down to a rating letter and I don't know that's possible. However if you plug the name of some manufacturers into the SEARCH feature above there's a good chance you'll read the good, bad and ugly about many of them. 18' beam shouldn't be hard to find in that size boat.
  3. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

It’s a European rating on all boats up to 79’. The US has no such rating, so it’s the only thing I know of to reference. I’m not looking at boats based on this rating. Rather, I am wondering what all goes into the rating to make sure I don’t settle for a boat with build practices that are sub par/ not up to standards.

My potential purchase aside, I have always been curious on the requirements to receive each rating.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ignoring Nycap's post

• Category A – Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes.
    • Category B – Offshore: includes boats operating offshore with winds to 40 knots and significant seas to 13 feet.
    • Category C – Inshore: is for boats operating in coastal waters and large bays and lakes with winds to Force 6, up to 27 knots, and significant seas 7 feet high.
    • Category D – Inland or sheltered coastal waters: is for boats in small lakes and rivers with winds to Force 4 and significant wave heights to 18 inches.
    Now I wouldn't say to cross the Atlantic just because a boat is a Category A, but I do think comparative ratings give some information. Not gospel but comparative. I would have real questions about the rough water capabilities of a 64' boat only rated a B. These are design criteria and do reflect the use a boat is designed for.

It's not cheaper things or things like how many bilge pumps. It's basic hull design and stability that influences it mostly. Now number of people on board impact it as well. For instance, a 60' boat may get an A with up to 12 people and with the 13th person fall to B. If you'll look at the Beneteau lines they do an excellent job of showing variable ratings of each boat.

That said, we have a 44' Riva rated a Category A and in rough water you can feel why it got that rating. Meanwhile we're reading posts of how wet a Galeon is. Combined with user reviews and ratings, I think it's easy to conclude that Galeon is not a good rough water boat but is a Coastal boat and one likely to spend more time on the ICW than running outside. Today would be a great example. Fort Lauderdale has 3-4' at 5 seconds, likely a day you'd stay inside in a Galeon.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No need for rudeness olderboater. I'm exploring, trying to find an answer that neither the OP or I know. You did; we learned. Thank you.
  7. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

I understand that number of people and weight affects rating. Your reply of Hull design and stability still doesn’t answer the question of the definitive requirements of each category. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your response, but it still isn’t answering my question.

One thing you said is a big reason for my post; it threw a red flag seeing that the 640 is a B rated boat. Even the Galeon 680 and 780 are B rated. It’s making me wonder what are they not doing/ do they not have that keeps them at B?
  8. olderboater

Then, if you don't know, simply don't answer by going off on European equivalent of UL. I simply said ignoring your post which it merited.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some of us come here to give of our knowledge. Some come to learn. Some of us both. In this case I was trying to help the OP so we could both learn.
  10. olderboater

What they are not doing is reaching standards of buoyancy, stability and safety. As to the details, you'd need to go through every page and see all the design details of the boat. Here is the directive establishing the CE requirements and here is where you can see what is included. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32013L0053

To know exactly where Galeon comes up short, you'd have to ask them, but you'd likely get an excuse, not the reason. They likely just don't meet the stability and buoyancy requirements, but I can't tell you specifically where they come up short. Perhaps stability. Perhaps buoyancy impacted by equipment weight vs. flotation. I can just tell you I know of no other 78 foot boat that is B rated and that would absolutely prevent me from buying a Galeon. Either they can't or they choose not to take the steps to be A rated. Even if they deem it unimportant, I don't want a builder who chooses not to do so. I've ridden in A's and B's and C's and I've felt the difference in rough water. Now I prefer to run offshore. If you prefer to run the ICW then that may mean you're ok with lower certifications.
  11. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

Thanks! Yeah I’ve read those, extremely confusing ha.

FWIW, the Prestige 70, Prestige 75 (no longer made) Absolute 72 Fly, Absolute 73 Navata, and I’m sure many more are all B rated. I know Prestige is a lower end boat in this class of boats. Not sure about Absolute, though.

What is also odd is that every model, all the way down to the Galeon 300 Fly is category B. So it seems they are building pretty good smaller boats, as I would imagine most 30’ boats being in the C category.
  12. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Galeons impress me with design, innovative, decor and use of space. CE B designation not so much.
  13. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

That’s exactly where I’m at with it, I love the fold down sides, pass through front windshield, bow seating features, etc.
    I certainly don’t plan to use it in waves larger than 13’ but it just makes me wonder where costs were cut to not achieve the A rating.
  14. olderboater

I wouldn't plan on waves over 5-6' in one. It's a lot easier to design a good looking boat than to design and build a good boat.

You know you've fallen in love with Galeon. Seems more than one of you have. You've been told it's a wet boat, you've been told it's a Cat B. You've not pointed out other Cat B's. It probably does compare with those. Sells in the price range with those. It is what it is. Not a Princess or Sunseeker or Riva or Ferretti, but may suit your purposes well. Norseman points out his 28' handles coastal cruising well and it is likely to do the same. As I said earlier, it's a matter of the way you like to boat. Today, we're running offshore in 3-4' waves. Many are running the ICW. It's a choice of use. We might not even be out today if it wasn't our last chance this year.
    DocCuzi likes this.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Or maybe they do, who knows?
    You can't say the opposite only based on the fact that their boats are Cat-B.
    Cat-B is simply what the builder applied for, nothing else.
    I don't think ANY builder would struggle to get their boat Cat-A approved, if they wanted to.
    The technicalities behind it are just that, technicalities. Most of them (sometimes all!) are also met by boats for which the builder simply decided to apply for Cat-B instead (there can be reasons behind that choice).
    And those which aren't met, typically are just a matter of minor details like the hand bilge pump.
    Very rarely, if ever, it's down to structural design which couldn't be modified.

If the OP is looking at CE-RCD categories from the perspective of a boater interested in the overall "quality" of a vessel, here's my personal view on what is relevant or not.

First of all, leaving aside smallish boats, the choice is between either Cat-A or B.
    Now, if we are talking of planing boats, there is no such thing as a pleasure boat that could withstand Cat-A sea conditions. None, zero, zilch.
    With a lot luck, they might bring you back home, dancing up and down with the waves at displacement speed, pretty much with the same chances that a Cat-B boat would have.
    If anyone can name me a boat which allowed them to keep bashing into a head sea with breaking waves in excess of 13 feet at planing speed, my hat is ready to be eaten.
    With a sort of catch 22 caveat, though: I want to see a video. And if anyone managed to make a video, then sea conditions were nowhere near that.

Btw, this is true reagrdless of size: talking of videos, I have actually seen one of a Predator 108 trying to keep going at 20+ kts in some 8 feet steep waves, till they bashed into one while pitching downhill a bit, and the hell broke loose in a loud bang, with the boat almost stopping there and then.
    Now, I'm well aware that you wouldn't even consider fighting 13+ feet breaking waves with your Riva, because - beautiful and solid as she is - you know even better than myself that she would fall apart.
    Which funnily, goes to prove that it might be even dangerous to make some people (not yourself, obviously) think that by signing on the dotted line, they are purchasing something with the same capabilities of a SAR vessel...

Truth is, since its introduction at the end of the 90s, CE categories progressively became more a marketing tool than anything else.
    It was always up to the builders to apply for the category they wanted for their boats.
    Complying with the requirements of the approving body never was a big deal, even for the smaller builders.
    For instance, one of the first that saw the marketing potential of CE classification was Raffaelli.
    They had all their range CE-A rated right from the very beginning of CE-RCD.
    And their range included boats like this one, if you see what I mean...!

All that said, I'm absolutely not supporting Galeon or their boats, which I actually don't like at all.
    And I'm even less suggesting that as a yard they are at the same level of Riva, because they certainly aren't, for many excellent reasons.
    But CE category just ain't one of them.
    BTW, I have seen how Ferretti used to build in the 90s their 165 model, and also the 57 which was the following evolution, based on the same hull.
    The first was built to class Yacht/C Cross of Malta, and the latter was built to CE-A category.
    And while I would trust neither for going at sea in 13'+ waves, the first was imho better built than the latter.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I don't doubt that she's at least as seaworthy as the Cat-A boat I previously linked, if not more.
    In spite of the fact that conversion to metric in the first two lines leaves something to be desired... :D
  17. olderboater

No, I'd be what would fall apart. lol. I also know to adjust speed based on the conditions.
    DocCuzi likes this.
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I can second everything Mapism said. CE Category A or B has become a marketing tool. There are many boats on the market, classed in the Cat A, that I would never go even into a Cat C weather situation with.

Sorry Mapism but especially Rina seems to be easier on giving Cat A then other agencies like the Dutch Lloyd or the NVGL. I own a Dutch build 14.99 meter steel full displacement motorboat. This boat is, except for some little updates in the external and internal design, in production for over 30 years. The length of 14.99 allows me and my sons to go internal (commercial) waterways and navigable rivers, as we do not have commercial Inland navigation licenses. I can for example command any size of vessel with my commercial skipper license on the Elbe River up to Hamburg but above Hamburg, where the Elbe Changes from an international waterway into a national navigable river, I have to stick to the 15 meter rule.

This boat was licensed in Cat A for many years. A very strong, very high quality and very seaworthy vessel with external stabilisation and Gyro stabilisation. An then the Yard went down from Cat A to Cat B with the same boat.
    Not because they had bad happenings or accidents, no, they felt responsible for their clients and just did not want them to go into Cat A weather with any of their boats.

If I look at my son in laws Prestige 780 IPS planning boat, I am absolutely convinced that this assembly of plastic fantastic would fall apart completely when hitting a 13 ft wave at anything over 10 to 15 Kts. And my son in law would get definately an devorse trying that with my daughter and my grandchildren on board.

Bottom line: A Cat A safety classification is by no means a quality statement or classification. And like Mapism said, the only vessels capable of going planning speeds in Cat A weather are those Search and Rescue vessels. But their crews are strapped in completely and sitting on hydraulic dampened pilot chairs, otherwise, the would break their spinal column during their missions.

What is said about severe turbulence in commercial aviation: "Persons and loose items are tossed about and serving of food and drinks are impossible" :).

Just my 2 (Euro) cents

HTMO9
    bernd1972 likes this.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, being responsible is one of the reasons why some builder deliberately decided to NOT apply for Cat-A even when they could make it blindfolded, but not the only one.

Potentially huge warranty claims is another reason why some builders decided to give up the marketing appeal of Cat-A.
    In fact, without even reaching 13'+ waves, it doesn't take a huge effort to crack/delaminate the stringers of every planing pleasure boat on earth, bar none.
    It's just a matter of deliberately wanting to go for a reckless ride in some rough stuff.
    Or not understanding that the throttle can be used anywhere in between idle and WOT.
    And since in the last couple of decades the number of boaters with more money than sense (and often with an attitude for substance abuse) became an increasingly important segment of the market, it's reasonable that some of the smaller builders - whose boats are often among the best and more seaworthy - preferred to play a bit safer and stick to Cat-B, avoiding the risk of big claims after some crook broke the back of a boat crashing her into a wall of water.

Of course, by doing so, they might risk losing some contract from punters more interested in what the brochure says, rather than in construction details.
    On the other hand, that's probably the type of clients which larger mainstream builders are targeting, anyway.
    And of course, larger companies are also better prepared and willing to handle large legal claims...
    So, it's a win-win situation, at the end of the day.
    Plenty of Cat-A boats are available for those who rate such classification, and also some others for those who don't.
    And everyone can pick their poison! :)

PS: ref.RINA, I'm not interesting in defending them, but I don't think the differences with other IACS members (International Association of Classification Societies) are so relevant.
    BTW, they sell their services also to several non-Italian, very reputable builders, in continental Europe and beyond...
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

RINA is known for being a bit more friendly and willing to discuss with yards. But I am with You, they will not sacrify safety more then neccessary.

But on one other subject, they are definately much more "flexible" than the NVGL. The interpreatation of the London Load Line Lenght. The longest boats available on the market within the official 24 meter regime are certified by RINA :). But this is not unsafe to any extend. The 24 meter border for pleasure boats is obsolete and BS anyhow.