Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Erie Canal

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by CaptGDunz, Oct 7, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Taking a Carver 456 MY from SINY - Toronto next weekend. Any recent "Heads Up" observations appreciated.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would call the NY state canal system. They had 3 locks completely wash out this year around lock 10....... I went through in July after they made temporary repairs to them, but then 1 washed out again 2 weeks after I went through. A call to the canal system should get you the info you need.
  3. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Everything is normal on the Erie Canal.
    They are on winter hours 07:00 hrs - 17:00 hrs.
    Rodger
  4. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Thank You!
  5. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

All was indeed well on the Erie Canal. Many thanks to the lock operator at the Flight of 5 that went above and beyond on a Saturday night to get us through to Lock 7. Now we just need the fan at Oswego to shut off so I can knock off the last 125 miles to Toronto. Hopefully the west wind dies with the sun. Yes I am going the wrong way. If anyone else is going through beware of the drift wood - debris between locks 17 and 22. Also the leaves falling off the trees warrant shutting the generator down in the locks.
  6. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Closes Nov 15

New York State Barge Canal system closes for the season on Nov 15. I am certain that there may be more than one southbounder who is conerned about the approaching storm and canal closure. BTW, I just checked with Lock 3 on the Champlain route and the railroadclearance above Lock 3 is 17 feet.
  7. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Water levels on the Erie Canal from Lock E-8 (Scotia) to Lock E-16 (St. Johnsville) will be lowered today, Sunday, October 28, 2012, to non-navigable winter levels. Any vessels remaining in this section will likely be grounded. All mariners should remove their vessels from the Canal or proceed to safe harbor immediately. Additional closures are possible depending on the storm track.
    For updates and information monitor 1-800-4CANAL4 and New York State Canals.

Took a yacht down Welland Canal on Thursday and he is wating out the storm in Oswego.
    Rodger