Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

EOOW III/1 with 10 years in cruise ship industry looking for job on yacht

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by vicky, May 23, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vicky

vicky New Member

Hi
    I am an 46 years old 3rd engineer ,with more than 20 years experience on the sea ,last 9 on passenger ships ans assistent engineer and 1 as officer on watch ,looking for an career in yacht industry.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Can I ask why after 9 yrs on Passenger ships you still only have a 3rd engineers certificate of competency?

If you want to get on a big boat as 3rd you will be better going to the agencies than here where the size of most vessels people who come here and own/operate rarely carry an engineer
  3. vicky

vicky New Member

...from 1996 until 2014 I was working as motorman ,senior motorman and assistent engineer . In 2012 I finish Maritime Univesity .
  4. Belle

Belle Member

Why are you wanting to change?
  5. vicky

vicky New Member

I don't feel that I use all my skills as I wanted to ,and if I don;t practice ,I start to forget .....I've been ,years ago ,on small ships ,and there I fit.
  6. Belle

Belle Member

What do you consider a "small ship?"
  7. vicky

vicky New Member

....for example ,an 37-40 meter yacht
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Speaking of a boat in that range. Most have only one engineer. That engineer is responsible for 2 engines in the 1000-2800 hp range, 2 generators of 80-100 kw, a watermaker, autopilot, stabilizers, bow and stern thrusters, full electronics including radar, sonar, plotters, audio/visual systems, and plumbing systems including holding tanks and pumps. They are completely responsible for everything. So, while that position varies by owner, it really requires a chief engineer's skills. There is no assistant typically. Do you feel capable of doing all it requires?

What did you do on "small ships" before? Were they in this size range?

Much like small businesses, the smaller the boat becomes the more diverse the responsibilities of engineers and captains. At 130', typically a single engineer. As size drops further, as K1W1 pointed out above, many boats won't have an engineer. In the 100' and below range, crew is typically 3 people-a captain, a mate or deck hand and a stew. Below 70' it's typically a captain doing it all or as it gets smaller, often owner/operator.

What type boats and what size boats has your experience been on and what type responsibilities?