Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Enough is enough...

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by CAPT. BRUCE, Feb 18, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAPT. BRUCE

CAPT. BRUCE New Member

I HAVE A 100 TON CAPTAINS LICENSE. IN THE PAST I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET A JOB, TO GAIN EXPERIENCE.
    THE INTERNET IS USELESS. I AM FINISHED WRITING RESUMES THAT DON'T GET ANSWERED. I AM GOING TO BUY MY OWN BOAT AND START MY OWN BUSINESS....GUESS I WILL GET THE EXPERIENCE THAT I NEED, THE HARD WAY.

CAPT. BRUCE
  2. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

Advice

You are very correct. The internet is a HORRIBLE way to find a captain gig. I do have good advice for you though! Get a better attitude about it! You have had your license for only a year and appearently never even worked as a captain. Have you ever been a paid deckhand, mate,boat grease monkey? I would bet not! Have you applied for any of these jobs? If you are willing to work, and have any communication skills, it is very easy to network and find good captain jobs. Check your ego at the door and go get a job washing boats. If you are only half decent, and have a little patience, it will be an easy route up from there.

You could also go the commercial route, os>ab>mate>captain, but don't even get me started on this!
  3. CAPT. BRUCE

CAPT. BRUCE New Member

THANKS BOB.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT BOB. I HAVE HELD A (OUVP) LICENSE FOR 4 YEARS AND THAN UPGRADED TO 100 TO MASTERS. AS YOU PROBOBLY KNOW TO GO THIS FAR, YOU MUST HAVE SEA TIME EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE OF NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS AND THE RULES.

I WILL BE A PROUD CAPTAIN AND I WILL GET THERE WITH THE HONOR AND THE RESPECT THAT THE POSITION DESERVES. I WILL NOT SHINE ANYBODYS SHOES TO DO SO.

I AM CURRENTLY A CONTRACTOR AND DOING WELL. BOATING AND NAVAGATION ARE A PASSION AND NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS I WILL NEVER STOP STUDYING AND LEARING.

I THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE A HIGHER DEMAND FOR LICENSED CAPTAINS HOWEVER I WAS WRONG.
  4. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

Bruce, I don't think you get it. You want the job, but you are not willing to do what it takes to get there. If I was an owner, I would never hire anyone with the "overly proud captain" mentality. I am 29 and run a fairly large private yacht. To this day I will clean a toilet just as quick as I would as an os on supply boats 7 years ago. also, if you think I am going to let our mate out work me on the deck your crazy! I would gladly "shine shoes", as that would be cake compared to the work it takes to keep our boat up/running! We had a guest a while back hurl all over the head on our fishing boat. By the way, he managed to spray something out the other end all over as well. Who do you think cleaned it? I'll give you a hint.....our mate helped! Do you at all understand what I am saying? There are a lot of peacocks out there. I like them. The more peacocks, the more security I have with my job future!
  5. GordMay

GordMay New Member

Well said, Captain Bob Scott!
  6. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

Thanks GordMay!

Sounds like you have been there, or know someone who has. So many peacocks, so few workers.
  7. CAPT. BRUCE

CAPT. BRUCE New Member

NO.... YOU DON'T GET IT.

THE FIRST RESPONSEIBILTY OF A CAPTAIN IS THE SAFTY OF HIS PASSINGERS. WHISH IS A FULL TIME JOB. WHO WAS RUNNING THE BOAT WHILE YOU AND YOUR MATE ARE TRYING TO OUT WORK EACH OTHER, THERE IS A PROPER TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERYTHING.

WHEN I GET ON A PLANE I WANT MY CAPTAIN TO FLY THE PLANE AND DO IT WELL, I DON'T WANT HIM CLEANING ANYTHING, AND THAT IS NOT A UNREASONABLE REQUEST.

YOUR EMPLOYER HAS THE PREFECT EMPLOYEE. YOUR NOT ONLY A CAPTAIN, YOUR ARE ALSO A UTILITY MAN.

I WOULD WANT MY FAMIALY IN THE HANDS OF A PECOCK CAPTAIN WHO HAS BOATING SAFTY AS HIS TOP PRIORITY, (WHICH DEMANDS FULL CONSENTRATION ) AND YOU WOULD TOO.

IT SEEMS YOU ARE SO INTERETED IN PROTECTING YOUR JOB THAT YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN SOME VERY IMPORTANT THINGS. SOMEONE TRYING TO BE A GOOD CAPTAIN SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR JOB SECURITY.

RESPECTFULLY,

CAPT. BRUCE
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  8. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

Let me remind you Bruce, you are on the outside looking in. I have been on the inside for the past 7 years, and am trying to give you advice on what it takes to get here. It is obvious that you do not have the right mentality to handle it.

Let me explain a couple of things to you about how yachts work, at least the one I run. You see no one is running the boat when my mate and I are "trying to outwork each other" because maintenance gets done at the dock! You see it also gets done when no guests are on board, so that means that instead of the captain standing around hoping that everyone else does the work, he needs to jump in and lead by example.

Also let me explain the two jobs that you are mixing up in your mind. There is a HUGE difference in the jobs of an unlimited master running a cruise ship, tanker, etc. and a 100 ton master running a party boat, dinner cruise boat, private yacht. In some situations it IS necessary for the captain to play more of a supervisor roll. With your 100 ton masters, and any potential jobs that may come your way, you don't need to worry about this.

I agree that safety is #1, but your captain FANTASY has diluted the REALITY of the job. If my family was on board, I would NOT want the peacock, afraid to get his epaulets dirty, but rather someone that I knew was ready to sh*t and get when sh*t hits the fan!!

I am not at all worried about "protecting" my job. I have a great relationship with the owners and there is nothing to "protect". What is nice is to know that one day down the road, whether it be a year or ten or more, when I am not at my current job, is that there are so many peacocks (such as yourself) out there, which does insure a job future for any hard working, respectable captain. You earn respect through hard work not a title that you received for passing a couple of simple tests!

One last thing. You stated "YOUR EMPLOYER HAS THE PREFECT EMPLOYEE. YOUR NOT ONLY A CAPTAIN, YOUR ARE ALSO A UTILITY MAN." Thank You!! You are exactly right! Take notes and you may end up with a job!!
  9. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

Hey Bob I was gonna jump in and add something but I think you have hit all the points that count! Sounds like he would be great for a tug job pushing mud, you know , the one where the mate keeps the Captains coffee cup filled!and the Captain doesnt leave the wheel house!
  10. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Re: NO.... YOU DON'T GET IT.

Yes, I agree there is a proper time and a place for everything. However, the reality is that many yacht captains do more managing, cleaning, and taking care of the owner than actually navigating their vessel while underway. This is because many yachts do not spend a great deal of time underway.

Hey I want the same when I get on a plane as well. But we arent talking about flying planes here.

I would have to agree that he does have a great employee, one who cares about the boat and his owners happiness. Let me fill you in on something about working as a yacht captain. Most yachts are not a business, they are an indulgence. The owner does not have a yacht to make a profit, he has it to enjoy himself.

As a captain, of course you must have boating safety as a top priority, but you must also remember that its also about CUSTOMER SERVICE, in this instance the customer is the yacht owner.

If a yacht owner has a bad experience, he is not going to own a yacht anymore. That certainly isn't any good for the industry, or for those who would choose to work in this industry.

Now, I congratulate you on your recent advance in your licensing from an OUPV (6-pack) to a 100 ton Master. That is commendable. But, that doesnt mean squat in the yachting industry. It's merely a certificate of competency that means you actually have a qualification to be a captain. It's not all that is required to be a successful yacht captain though. If you want to use your license to drive a boat and not "polish someones shoes", as you succinctly put it, may I reccomend inquiring with this company:

http://watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Well is strikes me that if you have only been licensed for 4 years, and do not appear to have worked as a captain, how can you say what being a good captain is?

11. dannie

dannie New Member

message to capt bruce and bob scott

I have just discovered this website tonight and feel that Capt Bruce is in for a rude awakening if private work is what
    he seeks. I have been a passenger on many upscale and celebrity yachts due to my work(past) and as a child with
    my Dad-an avid boater, navigator etc. My ex was/is a captain/ex commercial fisherman/captain and more often than
    not washed his own 100ft yachts and fixed dry battery cells- as well as amusing, listening, teaching, cooking and/or
    any other thing his owners dreamed of, needed or required. He was often a baby sitter for lonely rich people and
    had to defer the affections of lonely wives who'd had one too many or not enough as the case often was. His
    expertise was real- try the Bering Straights Bruce before you go on about safety. Yacht owners and boaters are
    very savvy about who they want running their boats- it seems there are two main things they look for- real, serious
    experience and modesty about it- oh and don't under-estimate being fun, loose and easy to get along with.
    If I was looking for a Captain I would search for someone like him or Capt Bob Scott- he is telling you 'as it is'
    you might want to learn instead of killing the messenger- a tough lesson.
  12. captainbob

captainbob New Member

I hate to rain on the other part of his parade - but buying your own boat and using it commercially is no shelter from hard and dirty work. I suppose that if you can afford a yacht that you are using for your own pleasure you can be King For a Day, but if you are a charter boat captain running your own boat that is simply not so. The boat is reduced to an asset of the business, and you simply must do whatever is needed to keep the operation running.

I have been a charter boat captain for a number of years, both running my own boat, running other peoples boats, and running good sized head boats. Have I cleaned vile things out of the heads (and salon) of the boat - absolutely. Have I nursed sick deisels home is nasty weather - absolutely. Have I gotten up at 0345 to cut bait prior to a 0600 departure - and then was still cleaning the boat at 2200 - absolutely. The bottom line is the charter fishing business is hard work and no one works harder than the captain.

Do I spend time worrying about navigation and safety and all that other Captain stuff. Sure I do, but that activity is mainly trying to keep aware of my surroundings, where everyone is, and how the boat is doing. And the constant what if games, oh yes, if your a real captain it's not the aura of authority that marks you as different - it's all those hours of what if games....

Oh yes, how did I get my start? Mating on someone else's boat of course!
  13. dannie

dannie New Member

more stormy weather for capt bruce re: capt bob

Here's some white caps for Capt Bruce- my friend Jack- a true salt runs among other things a charter fishing service out of pt.vallarta- two boats and a season of six months max- the boats rent for$450 day incl.sandwich's-
    he needs two hands (he's on the flybridge) to help the clients with various needs from rods to beer to puking in the appropriate areas- fuel cost 120$,
    the guy at the hotel who books get 50$ the two hands get $25- then theres insurance and boat slips etc. He doesn't stop for a minute- and has to be
    'fun' the whole time- when the white caps hit and they often do- he has to
    step on it to get everyone back because they've all had 10 beers each or
    more and are already sick or will be soon- the fish are 2 hours out of vallarta
    because of the pollution so for all this work and expenses and risk and
    constant maintenance to the boats- he maybe comes home with 200$ max
    for the day- and thats max
    sure he loves it- it beats working in an office or diving anymore which is
    what he used to do but two things he's learned the hard way-
    it's work-being in authority is sometimes very stressfull and
    the fish always stinks from the head
    Bruce- a message-find some lovely old couple that want's cocktail cruises
    and gentle week-end rides or better yet- transport boats- it's more independent-
  14. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Geez!!!

Hey Bruce, do use all a favor. Don't quite your day job. I have been a captain for 30 years and one thing I have found is that a piece of paper does not a captain make. So, you just go ahead a keep waving that paper in the air at the rest of us from the dock. It make s a pretty flag.
  15. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Pilots

Oh and hey Bruce, I am also a Learjet/Citation/Hawker pilot (those are corporate jets). We have two pilots up front. One is the Pilot Flying and the other is the Pilot Not Flying. As far as captain goes, we swap every other leg. That way the first officer (can you say mate?) gets experience landing that big *****. So, climb on down off your ivory captain chair and give the second in command a turn at the wheel. A real captain lets his mate dock the boat as well. Ever hear of wheel watches? When off watch, EVERYONE has other duties to perform. Geez, with your attitude, you give hard working captains like the rest of us a bad image. Oh, and your 8th grade spelling is showing through, too. I'll bet you're a pill to work with on the site... And one more thing, CAptain Bruce. The real captains, well they don't have to put captain before their first name. Everyone they meet and talk with for five minutes knows they are the REAL McCoy.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  16. JHA

JHA Senior Member

The (real) captains in this conversation are making themselves quite aparent. The paper license is for the insurance company. It's the experience that will get you home when the fit hits the shan. A captain job is easy - if your an insomniac workaholic. When I got into the (private) boat industry I knew that I knew everything there was to know (oops). I've spent the last six years as a deckhand, mate, engineer, and captain. The most important thing I've learned is that I'll never know everything. But hopefully I have enough experience, and some good people working WITH me so that we as a crew can get the job done. I still work as a deckhand, as an engineer, and as a stew. And no piece of paper can cover all the particulars of that.
    Aero - if you ever need crew, I'd be happy to interview. I won't ***** about beds and heads, and I can actually drive these 120' clorox bottles.
  17. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

You got it JHA

Next month I perform my 141st and 142nd delivery from Florida to NEw York. However, I do these trips solo (46 & 57 Ocean). But, if I get a vessel 60' or larger, I will be PMing you for line thrower, wheel watch, sandwich maker and yes, docking the boat. Thanks for your offer.
  18. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

John John John!!!!!!

As a former Coastie I would think you would know better than to break the law. ! Solo !!! ======= stupid and illegal. I can only hope for your sake that nothing happens. Nav rules state that you must have a lookout who's only job is just that, to be a lookout. The lookout can perform no other duty while serving as a lookout Driving, navigating, plotting a fix or engine room checks ,all are other duties .140 trips is impressive but you only get to be a cowboy once when the s@*t hits the fan. Come on your smarter than this!!!! Saving the owner is doing yourself a great injustace and is not safe(read legal)
  19. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

You must be joking, right?

Who says that I am NOT standing proper watch. I will have you know that I subscribe to the CFR Part 41 regs that stipulate no more than 12 hours duty time in a 24 hour period. Typically, my runs are 9-10 hours per day. You must be like be 75 years old, or you boat is. With today's modern fleet, all of your navigation is just a finger tip away. So, what you are saying is that if someone were to take their boat our fishing for the day, by themselves, that they would be unsafe or illegal? And just to preempt your next question/comment; if I have to take a leak, I shoot it from the flybridge. Anything else and I pull the throttles back, clutchs into idle and then the vessel is "not under command." Doesn't mean that it is not being watched after. You know, it's all about preparation. Everything you need for the day's travel, you put it on the bridge. What about flying. Guys fly solo all the time. Does that mean that they are flying illegal/unsafe? Injustice has an "i" in it. Oh, and autopilot does the driving which means I am standing a lookout watch.
  20. JHA

JHA Senior Member

Aero

Isn't flying solo part of the requirement to get a pilot license?
    ....Only one question.when heading to sea - do you plot on paper as well, or do you rely solely on electronics for your nav.? I'm a relatively young "marine chauffeur" but I won't run without paper charts. And fixes are done EVERY hour. No Excuses.
    P.S. have you flown the citation x ? I would kill for a few hours.... even in the right seat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.