Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Engineer/ETO position.

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by engy, May 20, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. engy

engy New Member

Hailing from Bideford North Devon, currently stayi
    Hi all,

I've just stumbled over this site and have been very impressed by some of the discussions I've read, and would like some advice about starting a career in the Yachting industry.

I did an apprenticeship in Electronic Communications in the British Army and spent a further 9 years serving all over the world. Since leaving the Army, i have been an engineer working for a large telecommunications company. I have good electronics and general electrics background coupled with good IT skills.

More recently, I have completed a Yacht Engineers course at the UKSA including AEC, STCW95, further training towards MEOL and Y4, just needing the service and sea time before I can sit the Oral exam for MEOL. I have had a number of professionals from the yacht industry help me fine tune my CV, and the feedback I'm getting is that it is very good. I'm currently in Palma looking for work, but there doesn't seem to be very much out there. Any advice on how to stand out from the crowd and secure that all important first position would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How long have you been looking?

ETO's that are good are hard to find, the unfortunate thing about a number of guys who consider themselves to be ETO's is simple- They aren't up to the job.

Reading your brief experience I would say you should not have any problems getting on as ETO on a boat.

Have you listed with the agencies?
  3. engy

engy New Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence K1W1,

I have been here in Palma about 2 weeks, I've registered and been round all the major agencies, some are positive that it is going to pick up, others are pretty blunt about it.

The boats that I speak to are all crewed up, and even going around the yards, there doesn't seem to be much day work about. I'm positive it's going to pick up, the question is when
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It can be tough to get a break alright.

You should not forget the agencies in France and maybe look at relocating to the "mainland" to keep pounding the docks and Agencies doormats.
  5. engy

engy New Member

Thanks, I will certainly be moving on in the next couple of weeks if I haven't got anything by then.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Given your previous work history I would also be inclined to tap the marine AV/IT install Co's for anything going.

I am currently doing a new build where we intend to take the AV/IT Installers guy who is running the job onsite with us as ETO.
  7. engy

engy New Member

I thought the other day that it might be worth it, didn't think that it would be possible to leave on the yacht, but if it happens, I'll be there.
    I've already left my CV with a couple of them here in Palma, the second one, i was unable to chat to the boss, so I'll be following it up again tomorrow.

I'm spending today on the internet updating agencies etc, so will do a troll of the web for all the companies I can find and send out some emails........ I'll have blisters on my fingers to match the one's on my feet. Through your experience, do you have any recommendations on which companies i should definitely be contacting?
    feel free to PM me if you would rather.