Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Engine Questions - More to come...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by VikHatBer, May 10, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What is the difference between a 12V92 and a 12V2000? A 16V92 and a 16V2000?

What is the difference between a CATERPILLAR 3412 and a CAT 32? What is the fuel consumption difference between these two motors?

What are the advantages of MAN engines over MTU's and CAT's? Visa versa?

Do some motors scare away fish, or is that just an unsubstantiated rumor?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, some engines raise fish much better then others. Diesels also raise a lot more fish IMO then stern drives and outboards. I think CATS and DD's raise more fish then the MAN's at least the ones that cut off one bank of cylinders (pre-common rail). I haven't raised many fish with Yanmars either.

OK, 12v92- Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engine, 12 cylinder 92 series (size of cylinder). The later versions around 1993 and later had DDEC. These stopped production in 1999

12v2000- 12 cylinder MTU engine, mated to DDEC electronics (detroit diesel engine controls)

16v92- DD 2 stroke engine 16 cylinder, 92 series some of the later ones had the DDEC. These stopped production in 1999.

16v2000- 16 cylinder MTU engine mated to DDEC

CAT 3412- 12 cylinder CAT of which a C30 is based on the same engine (pretty much) with newer electronics and some revisions. This is an engine they've made since 1978 block/heads I believe.

C32 is an overhead cam motor that does not use the same engine/block as the C30, and is (I believe) totally a new design. They had a huge issue with the first 150 sets coming apart which CAT replaced right away no questions and haven't had issues since. Fuel consumption is about 20 gph more for a pair, but you're making a lot more HP then 3412's

Advantages depend on physical size of the engine, local dealers, where the boat is travelling to, and general maintanence. MAN's seem to have the highest maintanence costs. The heavy maintanence is based on years or hours, not just on hours like CATs, so on a recreational boat you might only do heat exchangers and stuff on CATs every 4 years instead of 2 years. CAT has the largest worldwide dealer network and the maintanence parts are cheaper.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 3400 Series is the base for a number of the new line of engines, I found the following online @ http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_3_71/ai_n13469685/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

Like the C15 and C18 models directly below it, the C27 and C32 share the same core platform design, with about 45% parts commonality among the four models. The C32 will carry ratings from 1150 to 1350 hp and in the off-highway world is targeted at applications such as chippers and grinders.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That sounds right. I was told by the Pantropic Cat engine startup guy that the C30 is based on the 3412 (not the C32), and that is a block/cam/and heads CAT has been using since 1978.

I've never even heard of the C27. But the C32 and C18 I do know are new engine designs in regards to cylinder heads, cylinder blocks etc. The C series C18's I ran were rated for 10,000 hours according to the CAT book, my CAT certified mechanic said more like 6,000-7500hrs, but who knows. I think they're still too new to really tell for sure. I've heard of a few C18's in the Cabo's down at Los Suenos only going 5,000 hours but also heard when the engine run data was pulled up, that they were run pretty hard.

I was also told that the C18 has the cheapest maintanence costs for it's HP of all of the other diesel companies. Take that with a grain of salt.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have a bit of current C 18 Experience.

We have 3 Gensets with 5000 Hrs on them with no Oil consumption, no smoke and good SOS Results.

According to the CAT Maintenance Requirements they are due for a top end overhaul at 5000 Hrs, I am going to have the highest hour one borescoped and if it all looks good push out the TEO to 7500 Hrs and depending upon operational characteristics borescope again and see how things are going inside.

A Colleague of mine took the Head off one of his at 5000Hrs and promptly put it back on. He is now planning on doing his TEO at 10,000 Hrs- The time the manual says it should be a full overhaul.

I have not heard of anyone having any major problems with the C 18's when used as Gensets, I have no experience with them when used as propulsion engines.

Like you I have never heard of a C27 till reading that article.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would have to say that a Genset should see less wear then an engine in a sportfish if the genset is running 24/7 with a load on it. The Sportfish engines will see a lot of idling, then running at cruise, then idling again, then cruise again. So they get coolant temperature variances. They'll also have a lot more cold startups then most generators that are run all of the time. I haven't seen a C18 personally in the recreational side of things that has needed a rebuild yet. But I think they're the best running C series CAT in the lineup. I've run the C7's, C9's, C12's, C15's (I think), C30s and C32's. And while all of those run very good, clean, and strong. The C18 feels the smoothest, seems to run the cleanest, and doesn't have any issues that pop up (from what I've seen). I've run a lot of different sets of them, both in a sportfish and motoryachts and really like them. Everyone of the C18's I've run didn't use a drop of oil, ony thing they have a tendancy to do is pop the dipstick out a 1/2" and send a little oil splatter out of it over a long day. But every set I've run has had less then 1,000 hours at this point

Whats really weird is I looked at the specs on the C27 and it makes the same power in the C configeration as the C18 (1015hp). So I don't know if it's coming out to replace it, or what they designed that engine, but it's a V12 according to the spec sheet. Very Strange.
  8. travler

travler Senior Member

i currently own a few c18's in off road equipment with over 10,000 hrs on them and we like them very much we also have do some repower with the c27 withch is a v8 but is not avilable for marine use . a friend of mine that lives in seattle and fishes so east ak is going to repower his boat with a c32 commercial in his sainer . i don't no about the yacht applications but in the off road world they seem to work just fine .
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might want to open the hood and have another look at your C 27's.

They are a V12 Engine which according to the CAT Spec sheets has exactly the same physical bore and stroke as the C 32.

I posted a C 27 Spec sheet with that link above, click on it and have a look.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is the top of the Spec Sheet.

Attached Files:

11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

According to this, it sounds like it was designed to be used in equipment because it's a V12, yet makes the same HP as the C18. So I would assume being a V12, that it makes more torque then the C18. Also a severely detuned C32 would have more longevity.
  12. travler

travler Senior Member

the diffrence is in the stroke the bore is the same and the fuel arangement is a little diffrent and i did go out to the job site to check it out you are right ,thanks for the correction i was missleading my self
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Your welcome.

You will probably find that the increased fuel rate is accompanied by a greater boost pressure and a different Camshaft Profile on the C 32 v the C 27.
  14. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What is your favorite engine in the 1000Hp-1500Hp range? Say for a 55-60 foot boat with outdated 1980's dd's?
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What engines does it currently have? C18 would be a nice replacement for 12v71's or 12v92's
    Cat C18= 1015 HP
    Cat C30= 1500hp (not sure if this is still in production but was in 2005)

DD 12v2000 would be a third choice but I don't like how they stand behind their products.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i really like the 1400 hp 3412E ... now C30 or C32 ??

note that Cats specify maintenance interval in hours OR gallons burned, which makes a lot of sense.

never ran/owned Manns, but from what i "hear", maintenance costs are often higher than cats.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, that is true. With Man's you have to do the maintanence every 2 years. To do it on the 1050s it runs about $26k for the pair, regardless of how many hours
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 1015 Hp C 18 is E Rated you can also get can get an ACERT C 18 with an E Rating at 1136 Bhp, E Ratings are pretty restrictive for when you can use all that grunt though.

Cats definition of an E Rating in brief is

E Rating (High Performance)
    For Vessels operating at rated load and speed 8% of the time or 1/2 hr out of 6 up to 30% load factor.

Typical Apps: Pleasure Craft, Harbour Patrol Boats, some Fishing or Patrol Boats.

Typical Operations: 250 to 1000 Hrs a year.
  19. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What is the weight of a 12v71?

12v92?

12v2000?

16v92?

16v2000?

Cat C18?

Cat C32?

MAN 1360?

MAN 1550?
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Ad Nauseum ...

If you are asking someone to provide an encyclopedia of information it might behoove you to be polite and look it up fr yourself.

Google is your friend and if nothing else you can trust what you get from the manufacturer. If it's not worth that much effort on your part why should someone else bother to do it for you?