Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Engine Oil Sample Analysis

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSkipR, Apr 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Where do you get the little oil sample bottles? Also need to know what company to send them to.
    Thanks
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What equipment are you wanting to sample?
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Engine oil.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My question really was aimed at what brand of equipment as the manufacturers usually have a program tailored to their own gear.

If you have CATS I would suggest getting the number of bottles you need from your CAT Dealer and the appropriate pump along with the sample hose length.

Be careful not to contaminate the pump with oil or you might get false readings in a good sample.

Make sure the Oil is at or close to running temp and use a new sample hose each time.

Here is something to read about it.

http://www.cat.com/cda/components/fullArticle?m=40700&x=7&id=87045
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I agree, Cat samples are done quickly and accurately. We use them very often.

A bit pricey though, you get what you pay for.
  7. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Establishing a history is also of great value with oil sample analysis. It allows you to detect when something changes and starts wearing. I always advise doing it each and every time you change oil.

Occasionally switching lab's is a good idea too just for checks and balances. I've seen different labs point to different items as a possible source for contaminants.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

A single sample out of the blue is worthless for all practical purposes. The entire purpose of sampling is to monitor trends.

Quite often contamination, maintenance, or other external influences will return an exaggerated level of some parameter and if that were taken by itself might lead to unnecessary maintenance or oil changes.

A brand new engine looks like a worn out engine to an oil sample. Replacing a gauge line fitting can look like a bearing gone bad and contamination of the sample pump or fitting might look like almost anything,
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I hope so. At last count there were around 150 different labs contracted to do sample analyses for CAT.

I don't think CAT has a shoemaker's shop either but they sell boots and shoes.