Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Engine clean up time

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, Nov 12, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Getting ready to repaint the engines and engine room...degreaser, toilet brush, and hose? Is there anything that cant get wet besides the alternator on a DD671 ti?
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Don't you have a lot of electronic connections, switches, breaker etc down there? I don't think you want to prep the ER like you are washing a car. I would suspect a lot of it is close hand work with a lot of rags.... I never done it except as annual up keep.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Trash bag over the air filter. Let all drain & dry over night before starting the next day.
  4. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Wasnt going to go crazy with a hose...light rinsing mist so it all goes into the pans so I can vacuum it out...I wouldnt think more than a couple of gallons each motor
  5. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Thanks Capt. Ralph
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

So far so good with shop towels and spray cleaners on a regular basis.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

And toothbrush, rag on a screwdriver tip, etc.

Tin foil wraps around hoses, sometimes slightly easier than masking with tape...

-Chris
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Simple Green is your friend, non-toxic, safe to be around and will actually degrease. Now you just have to be careful what your bilge pumps discharge, nothing that will create a sheen.
  9. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Thanks for the toothbrush idea! I was going to use purple power...simple green better? I plan on vacuuming the dirty water out with a shop vac and not pump it into the ocean...pour it down the land toilet instead...tin foil on the rubber is a good idea...I was going to use cling wrap or saran wrap before I paint...was going to use a self etching primer and then high heat enamel
  10. dewald

dewald Member

Been thinking about doing some painting myself. Just did a quick search on primer. Came up with information that self etching primer should only be used on unpainted metal. Use an epoxy primer on metal that is painted... ?
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

When you're painting enamels like Boomer said he's using than all you need to do is complete a very good degreasing /washdown and the alkali in the enamel will self etch and adhere to the existing base enamel that your spraying or brushing over. The enamels are relatively soft and will yellow over time and will degrade. If you have the time and inclination than degrease and washdown the motor, Tape off with good 3-M tapes and masking paper / alum foil where needed and then use a non sanding epoxy primer (any brand, doesn't matter as long as its epoxy) on the entire engine than you'll be able to topcoat with any polyurethane of your choice like Awl-Grip, Alexseal, Jotun etc. Much harder coating , non yellowing with exception of turbos etc , An all around superior coating with less degradation maint. & shine wise. Two part polyurethanes are now being manufactured in "rattle cans" that have advanced spray nozzles that provide a professional job so the need for conventional HVLP rigs and difficult mixing calculations are alleviated .
  13. echo charlie

echo charlie Member

Make sure to get a paint suit and the correct respirator and provide good ventilation.
  14. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Didnt know I could spray straight over the old paint and not have to prime first...that makes the job even easier (minus the nasty washdown)
  15. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Z-Spar 100 -G gloss White will darn near stick to a puddle of lube oil. Might have a fish eye or two but it'll stick! Prime any bare metal and convert any rust with Ospho. Wipe down large components and parts with a prep solvent prior to painting. Petit , Z-spar or any auto paint store make / stock a good generic prepsolve for this .
  16. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Is that a spray or brush on?
  17. captholli

captholli Senior Member

It will come in quarts and gallons. Use a "Pre-valve " for spraying. I don't recommend attempting to brush coat an engine. Pre valves are very good for getting into tight corners and will give you professional results on any surface. A large Pre -valve bottle and charged atomizer will cost around ten dollars and two should be enough for one engine and gear. You will use a gallon between both motors, gears ,mounts and engine beds in my experience.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Caterpillar spray cans are cheap, coverage is excellent and the finish comes out very nice. It's what I use many times on various brands of engines.
  19. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

This sounds good...they have white ? Or is it just Cat yellow? Will it stand up to the DD exhaust manifold heat for a few years?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  20. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Cat has White . Water cooled or jacketed DD manifolds yes, otherwise its barbecue grill paint for manifolds.