Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Dual Master 55 to 75 feet

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by thekellers, Oct 11, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. thekellers

thekellers New Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I do most of our boating with another couple and we are looking to find a boat with a Dual Master layout.....the majority of the boats we have seen have a great Master and the VIP is a tiny Bow suite with a tiny bathroom. Neither of us really want to be on a boat with 6 people....6 people just means two third wheels instead of one 3rd wheel.

Does anyone know any Dual Master layouts?

What is your opinion with the number of people you like to cruise with?

Thanks
  2. wannapost50

wannapost50 New Member

Offshore 62 has a great layout, the VIP is up in the Bow but it has a decent size head and a queen size berth.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Forward I had a captain stateroom and a crew v berth. I reconfigured and built a VIP queen in the space of the former V berth, shrunk the captain down to the length of its berth, shifted that space into the VIP, and resulted in the outcome that you are considering. It's a pretty easy project on many boats with that type of forward layout. If you're considering the used market, don't be afraid to consider the modification approach to an otherwise terrific vessel.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Finding a duel/ equal master layout is near impossible due to the basic configuration of boats unless possibly in a catamaran. Taking space from another area as rtrafford suggests is probably your best option. Just be careful with weight distribution, and of course even if you match sq. footage whichever stateroom is more forward will be less comfortable. What kind of cruising do you plan? If you're looking at coastwise cruising you might consider something like a Florida Bay Coaster which gets you extra space by going up. If you're looking at more distant cruising you might find a workable solution in something like a Nordhaven. But if you're looking for more speed your choices become harder. You didn't mention your budget or if the two couples are going in as equal partners. If the budget would allow new and custom you could work with several builders to design the floor plan pre-build.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Before and After Plans for Fwd VIP Conversion, Just for as an example. In the end I spun the head outboard and cleared space for a second entry to the bathroom for the captain. Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at WednesdayOct 14, 20203.14.52 PM.png VIP Suite.jpeg
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

In truth it's a very easy project that doesn't require structural compromise or a big budget in many cases. I made the changes for many of the same reasons you're contemplating.
  7. thekellers

thekellers New Member

RTrafford...that looks like a great reconfiguration. Roomy for co-captain and spouse...what size boat do you have.... I find the difficult part is looking at floor plans and trying to see what a reconfiguration would look like....so much easier to do it when on the boat..but that is a lot more time consuming and I am not looking to waste someones time.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

She's a 68. Master and two guests aft, and a VIP plus a captain forward. The reconfiguration is somewhat easy to see on paper, to envision what can be done, but then the idea has to be vetted aboard to study structural impacts, plumbing, hvac modifications, etc. Mine really turned out beautifully. That VIP is a terrific cabin and the centerline queen provides a lot of storage as well.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Many boats are fairly easy to order that way new or to reconfigure when used. As you increase in size toward your 75', the VIP staterooms generally become much more like masters. I wouldn't be concerned over extra staterooms, just over not having two really comfortable ones. Extras are good for a lot of things other than just more guests, from storage to crew.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

55 to 75 is a helluva range, to start with. But I think you can find good solutions also in the lower side of that.
    In your boots, since as I understand you are starting from scratch, I would NOT do what rtrafford suggested.
    Aft cabin boats are much better suited to have two good cabin areas by design. Separate entrances, more privacy, and all that.
    Sure, the master astern will always be a bit "better" than the bow cabin, in some ways.
    But at least both couples can have an area that they can call their own, in a way that you'll never get just by enlarging the VIP cabin in a boat with a central master.
    Usually, the flip side is that aft cabin boats are less elegant to look at, compared to "all forward" cabins layout.
    But... You pays your money and you takes your choice, as they say!