Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport

Draft & the east coast

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Kristoria, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Pwllheli [Puchkelly] & Abersoch [Abersock], N.Wale
    Hi,

As a Brit thinking of buying a yacht in the Northern Caribbean and I would like to get her into the east coast as soon as possible in order to shed some of the high cost of flying into the Caribbean from the UK.

I've heard and read that the inshore seaway can be very shallow so first of all, is it possible to sail anywhere along the East Coast in a SY., with a draft of 8' 6" and 46' long O/A. If so I am specifically wanting to moor/dock somwhere not too far from Miami Airport that's reasonable on the boat and wallet. Can anybody help please?

SY., Kristoria,
  2. thebighawk

thebighawk New Member

Miami beach marine is 1st choice. Maybe Merrill Stevens up the river if you need any owrk done. Up the ICW you should have about 10ft controlling depth, but not guarenteed.
  3. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Response and further questions on NOAA stuff

Hi, and thanks, 18" under the keel is plenty, but hey, I wouildn't like to stray of the beeten path, or is it much wider than I imagine.

I've printed out your NOAA Coast Pilot 4, is this good enough for the information I require. I'll sit down and try to associate those items with the book and the Loran C chart Straights of Florida and Approaches. Is there a better NOAA chart?

Regards,
    Chris
    SY Kristoria
  4. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Draught Florida and the ICW.

Hi many thanks for your advice of some weeks ago. I have had a good look at Miami Beach and it does indeed support my draught as long as I don't adventure too far inland. I've also looked hard elsewhere but couldnt actually find anywhere that was anything like so easy, even the small scale NOAA charts show that the deepest inshore waters are absolutely opposite Miami. To tax you still further though is there anywhere else say a days run Northerly and again a future day that could take my boat easily that I'm missing as the sand banks just seem to grow and grow and grow with NOAA advising staying 20 miles offshore irrespective of draught.

This is all in the future as I try to enjoy your country until that day comes to meet up with the ARC East bound and head for Bermuda.

Hope you can nudge me in the right direction.
  5. There is plenty of depth right off the beach in Fort lauderdale and South Florida in general, with depths in the hundreds of feet right beyond the third offshore reef which is still fairly close to shore. North of Miami there are a number of inlets that were dredged for ships that will give you plenty of draft. 20 miles north of Miami is Fort Lauderdale, with deep draft dockage just to the north of the port. Then 40 mile north of there is Lake Worth Inlet into Palm Beach, and 40 miles north again is Fort Pierce.
    In Fort Lauderdale in the first canal to the west after coming north into the ICW is an aprtment building that rents out dock space to large sailboats. It is right across the canal from The Boathouse. Depth in the canal runs over 20 feet. Dockside depth is enough that there are normally sailbosts over 70 feet there.
    Hope this gives you some local knowledge.
    Tucker Fallon Yacht Broker
  6. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Draught and the East Coast.

That's brilliant. What I have been trying to avoid is the big shipping lanes which obviously have enough draught and more for my boat which isn't really very large, or at least I would never dream of describing it as such, and I am reluctant to be tying up next to old Tractor and Earth Mover tyres and asking the missus to climb up a rope ladder to the topside of the dock because our gunnel's are three feet off the sea not thirty three feet as the dock was designed for. In other words ignorance coupled with NOAA's super secure navigational hints is probably making me worry more than I should. I have looked at Fort Lauderdale which again to a Brit conjures up motor boats the ownership of which is in the hands of Messrs Gates and Obramvitch.

Some of my conjecture comes from avidly reading log reports of a couple with a catamaran who sailed the ICW to the Bahamas, ( a guy called St., John or sinjon ) and constantly kept getting this 9" draught vessel stuck on the mud and sand banks.

So once more may I thank you and I will immediately go back to my charts and coast pilot and try to make myself happy with your advices.
  7. Running the ICW with a 9' draft is extremely difficult and impossible in some areas. Bur the ICW runs over 1000 miles from Miami and maybe some of the groundings you read about were well north of here.
    I mentioned the docks at that apartment building because their rates are lower than marinas but space is limited. With the right tide you should easliy get to the Fort Lauderdale City Marina at Las Olas. That is part of the boat show in October and many megayachts get there for the show, I think some of the slips will be deep enough for you. The city might even have some moorings available for a few days at a low price.
    Yes, we are the yachting capital of the US here in Fort Lauderdale, but there are many more thousands of boats the size of yours that come to visit here than the superyachts.
  8. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Draught and the East Coast

Wonderful you make me feel like I am at home already, forgive me for not doing my homework properley as of yet but I thought that the tides range was diurnal and only about a foot or so. Shouldn't really like to be trying to get in to harbour with just tiny bits of clearance. I'll get to work again shortly and see what I have to play with, not sure I curently have a large scale chart of Fort Lauderdale either. Thanks.:)
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Kristoria,
    From Miami I think you have to run outside to get anywhere. Biscayne Bay, south of Miami is too skinny and northbound you are almost certain to get stuck near Baker's Haulover Inlet due to the shoaling, maybe even at high tide. But inside most of the navigable inlets you should have good water and close dockage. Miami Beach Marina is right inside Miami inlet/Government Cut on the north side, just don't hit it at a low low tide as I'm told there is a sandbar there if you come in too tight. Tucker's right on about Ft Lauderdale, and going up the coast there are a number you can use.
    One booklet I keep with my charts is the Inlet Chartbook: Southeastern US from Chesapeake Bay to Miami, authored by Steve Dodge. It gives photos of the inlets, copy of the chart and a description. Put this and the Coast Pilot together and you've got some good info.
    Good luck.
  10. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Draught the ICW & East coast.

Capt., Tom,

Thank you very much for that information and I will use the pilot that you mention for sure.

Cheers,
    Kristoria
  11. sailandfish

sailandfish Member

Since it seems you are mainly considering FL, dont even bother looking to the west coast of FL the bridges and shallow water youll get nowhere. Miami Beach seems a good choice, otherwise, pier 66 in Ft. lauderdale and some marinas up the daina cut off canal may support your draft. Basically there are a handfull of spots you can get into with that water and be protected and theyll likely be expensive. May look into places further north, Charlston, Baltimore, these are more sailor friendly areas and gets you closer to bermuda. With that draft dont even try cruising up the intercoastal, bridges and water depth as well as middle of the channel hogging moter boat traffic will drive you absolutely insane.