Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Don Eatock - Knoxville TN

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by DON EATOCK, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DON EATOCK

DON EATOCK New Member

I have a 46 foot 1969 roamer riviara aluminum with 427 gas and pargons.
    Does anyone out there know what the gear ratios are? They are P45's. I have two sets of props. One set is 24 by 23, the other is 24 by 25. Does anyone know if either were the original props? The only weight options on the boat are 10 kw kohler and the aft bar. Thanks
  2. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

Hello I wish I could help (I'm in Nashville, by the way) but all I can do is guess. I would think it is 2.5:1 or as low a gearing as 3.0:1 simply because a 38 Commander, which I own, has 2.5:1 gearing with 23/25 3 blade props specified. I am running 4 blade now and have dropped down to 23/24 accordingly, with good results.

Since your boat is larger, with the same power, I would think the gearing would be equal or LOWER due to the larger boat.

One way to tell, is to get a socket on that big nut on the flywheel, and use a breaker bar to rotate the motor by hand (after it is warm and has pumped the transmission so it will turn) and count how many rotations of the motor must occur before you get one complete rotation of the transmission. A task that is much easier said than done.

A much easier method is to look at the serial number or other data stamped on your paragons. If you see something that reads like HJ7C25L, then I think it's a 2.5 left hand rotation tranny you've got. Take a look and see if you can see a similar number.

Regards, hope this helps,

Paul

aka "dogsharks"

Attached Files:

3. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

Hello, just discovered more info that can help you (and others).

Sometimes when you're old (and I guess that includes me) you tend to forget things! If you're running 427 motors, chances are all you have to do is look at your serial number on the exhaust manifold. Both manifolds have "chris craft" plates, but one of them has the actual serial number of your motor/transmission combination. They were sold as a "unit" and not as a motor with a seperate tranny. Therefore, on your motor ID tag, if you see something that reads like this, 427 25L, it will signify the 427 motor, and a transmission of 2.5 to 1 gear reduction, with Left hand rotation. A 427 20 tag would be a 2.0 to 1 gear reduction in the right hand rotation.

The following link has additional references, and links to transmission fluid, etc., all of which may be of use to you Roamer Captains, because many of us use the same power directly off the floor at the Roamer plant. My 1966 38 Chris Craft is serial number FXA 38 3004 R, and yes, the "R" stands for Roamer (built at the Roamer plant). Hope this is of use to you, from your friends at the Chris Craft Commander Forum !

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1160825603
  4. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

For your age of boat, I suspect you have a P4 or perhaps a P3 series, but I'll bet it's a P4, which has no external adjustment. Mine is a 1966 and I think they used the HJ-7 Paragon up until early 1968 but not entirely sure, at which time they (CC) transitiioned to the P series

Regards, Paul
    aka "dogsharks"
  5. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Chris Craft Roamer, Knoxville

Don, My name is Jim Reed and I too have a 41 foot,Chris Crat Roamer Alum Hull with a Fly Bridge here in good ol' Knoxville. I have two slips. One at Concord Marina and the other at Ft. Loudon Marina. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Jim
  6. 9lives

9lives Member

Determining the reduction gearing

Don,

I think that Pauls last advice is more on target as the first idea to spin the motor over would require a means to hold pressure on the forward gear pack which with a dead engine is tough to do.
    Best advice is to contact LPX sales in Bradenton who probably have a launch record of your boat and the gearing props etc.

Then I would request for a small fee the original sales info from the museum.
    Well worth the small fee!
    Mark