Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Doggersbank

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Mankhool, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Mankhool

Mankhool New Member

Hi Everyone,

In the early to mid 90s some friends of mine owned what I believe was a Frieboats Yachtwerks, which is today Doggersbank (I think).

She was a steel, 55ft, twin diesel, white awlgrip beauty and they sold her to someone in San Diego in the late 90s.

M.V. Gardina

If anyone has seen her or has any photos would you please post?

Thanks,

David
  2. Maver

Maver New Member

Hi,

Doggersbank series is a design of the design company Vripack in the north of Holland Friesland from the ownwer Dick Boon. These yachts were build by several Dutch shipyards.

Regards, Maver
  3. maile

maile New Member

Gardina

Hi David,

Reply is a bit late, but I just found your question in a related search.

Sold 2001 in San Diego. Below are some details from the past 10+ years:

-Renamed "LauraC" after purchase and as of yesterday officially changed back to "Gardina".
    - 2004: New topside paint applied at Baja Naval (Ensenada) - Awlgrip "Stark White" to match what was previously applied. Paint still in great shape.
    - In 2008, fully re-powered with John Deere 375HP Turbo Diesels, TwinDisc transmissions. New Isuzu 17kw generator with sound shield (replaced dual Onans). New electric.. all agm batteries and fully rewired with blue sea breakers/panels and whatnot. Boat now runs 12/24v and 110/220v. Raymarine E-series. Satellite TV. New antennas and radios.
    - 2009, steel replaced where necessary.
    - ComNav Autopilot to still be installed.

Currently redoing brightwork from barewood, applying new paint to topsides, redesigning salon and forward stateroom.

What was your relation with the boat?

Regards,

Roger
  4. Mankhool

Mankhool New Member

Hi Roger!

Oh I don't frequent this forum enough. Thank you very much for your reply.

Well, the first time I stepped aboard her was in 1992 and I lived aboard with my friends who owned her for a year or so. She was purchased from a Calgary oilman (who purchased a larger, similar yacht) that is still moored in Vancouver, BC.

We spent many wonderful days with her, cruising the Pacific Northwest and anchoring out in English Bay for the Fireworks competition every summer.

I've never seen another quite like her so I am happy that she is in good and obviously caring hands.

I know that she came over from Holland on her own hull (!) and one fine day, exiting the mouth of the Fraser River on her way back to Vancouver she sank into a depression (luckily everyone was below) and the sea went right over top of her . . . and she just popped back up like nothing had happened. It was a freak sea, but a lesser yacht would not have made it.

Please post or send some photos if you are able. I would love to see her. Also, if you have any unanswered questions about her I will pass them on to my friends to see if they can provide answers.

Cheers from Vancouver, BC!

David

Oh PS have you ever seen this? http://postcards.bidstart.com/M-V-Gardina-Indian-Arm-British-Columbia-Canada-1940-/29829827/a.html
    Erroneous date. It is Indian Arm, but I think just after she was sold.

Thanks again!