Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

does Crew appearance matter??

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by RobertaGill, Jun 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RobertaGill

RobertaGill New Member

Well being new to yachting Ive bought all the books and have talked to a lot of yachties, and there seems to be a some what of an unwritten rule when it comes to the ''looks'' of the crew.
    Ive heard from crew agencies, Brokers, crew etc that crew and especially for stewardess your more likely to be offered a job if you are attractive. Of course training and experience go a long way as well. but I just wanted every ones take on this! ;)

Thanks

Roberta
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

For what it's worth:
    If you want to play the part, you need to look the part.
    Professional, clean, and well groomed go a long way.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Many kids today aren't taught how to act much less dress. I once had a guy looking for a job show up in construction boots and loaded with jailhouse tatoos and a girl show up with a ton of facial piercings. As a small boat captain my type of work allows casual dress (jeans, shorts, etc.). Although most of my clients wouldn't say a word no matter what I wore I believe I represent my clients and dress appropriately. Last weekend, for the umpteenth time I was called "captain" by a stranger and told I "look like a captain" by another even though I don't wear a uniform. I'm proud to look the part. When I pass a large yacht part of the ambience of that yacht is the nice, clean uniformed crew. Yacht crew are proud of their jobs and don't want to be mistaken for owners or guests of a yacht.
    As for age, I expect to see stewards and deck hands in their 20's, captains and engineers in their late 30's to 50's. I know there is a push for younger these days, but an older executive crew gives me confidence that they're properly seasoned.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with NYCAP. I too wear shorts and t-shirts a lot of the times and there are sometimes instances when it is unavoidable to not get clothes dirty changing oil or filters or what-have you. But in general I will dress appropriately depending on the situation. On a sportfish it is perfectly fine to wear a t-shirt with a sportfishing theme on it...... and shorts..... but I don't wear them with holes and this and that..........

On the other hand, owners still want to see someone who has a clean cut appearance and that includes hair cut, hair color, finger nails, AND no Tattoo's or Piercings. Tattoo's and piercings can only do one thing in the yacht world, and that is restrict you from the number of jobs you are qualified for. Most owners don't want to see Popeye running their boat, or someone dressed like they should be on a commercial tugboat.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I have to disagree here: I have hired two ex-fishing chief engineers who didn't make the MCA Yacht minimum grade. Both of these guys were licensed to be Chief Engineers on the biggest fishing trawler in the world for unlimited trips. These two, plus some of their former colleagues are now in high profile yacht jobs. Plus I managed to place another guy as second leading to Chief's.

These guys (the first two) were heavily tattooed and pierced, (one to the amusement of the owners wife. In the engineering business these days you have to look at someones ability in spite of their looks. I am actually looking at two more fisherman who have on Class 2 something way above what is needed to fish on the factory boats or in one case he says he will do his Class 1 ticket for yacht jobs.

Personally I would take the ex-Fishing or rig guys over ex merchs.
  6. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

There's a line I remember from the movie Bull Durham, remember it? The old Kevin Costner, Susan Serandon and Tim Robbins movie?

Costner's Character, Crash Davis said to Tim Robbins Character, "Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob!"

I think this is good advice for anyone new to any field. To do the dock walk with a body canvas of tattoos is certainly going to hurt your odds of finding a job, but, once you're proven yourself and have a reputation behind you then those tattoos are "colorful."

[Thanks IMDB.com for the quote.]
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"... someone dressed like they should be on a commercial tugboat."

Find the tugboat captain(s) ... ;)

Attached Files:

8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd say upper right with a strong possibility for lower middle.:D
  9. DocRon

DocRon Member

Roberta, I agree with what has been already mentioned about being clean cut and neat in appearance. Even though I do not sport any tattoos myself, I believe in todays world where tattoos have become much of a fashion statement,that the yachting community need to re-evlaluate their age old standards (as far as tattoos are concerned) and come to terms with the new millenium. Having a visible tattoo does not make one a bad person or bad worker.

As far as being attractive is concerned, I think that in life in general, no matter what industry one is working in, and especially in the marine industry with stewardesses, looks go a long way. If a captain had a choice between numerous equally qualified and experienced persons, the best looking one would get the job in most cases. The only thing I think that would be put in front of attractive looks is qualifications and experience.

Please remember though, what is attractive to one person is not necessarily attractive to the next. Everybody has an inner beauty that will radiate outwards if you believe. Confidence will take you a long way.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Years ago my brother in law (at the ripe old age of 18) put a big marijuana leaf tattoo on his bicep. Who knew that the navy wouldn't be thrilled and that after service he'd go into the defence industry selling at the top levels. It's been a very long time since he's worn a short sleeve shirt. Think ahead kids.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I'd say upper right with a strong possibility for lower middle."

You got it. Even though the guy in khakis was a giveaway I guess their inner beauty was radiant.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Upper left> "Mr." Captain (let me off his boat).
    Lower left> Sportfisher, does commercial work once. Probably works as a teacher by now.
    Lower right> Loves to spend his retirement with a rod in his hand and a small boat under his bottom.
    :D
  13. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I read this somewhere (I think in someone's yacht policies and procedures) that I think works very well for the topic at hand:

Yachting is a showmanship and presentation industry. Your appearance, conduct and actions reflect directly on your crew, your ship and its owners. Proper decorum and a polished appearance is the minimum standard expected at all times.

Take it for what it's worth.
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As a buck-toothed smelly with glasses, I spent 12 years as a top steward on Superyachts. It's not how you look, its all about charm.

Do you make guests feel welcome and at ease? Do you make them feel special?

Use your personality not the looks, they do help though.

I was much more happy in the Engineroom anyway.
  15. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

Yeah, I agree with you Fishtiqua. Looks can certainly help you get into the door, but personality, integrity and social skills are what takes you to the top.

My first love was stunningly good looking and made heads turn wherever we went, but had the personality of a goat and has never had many close friends. We were together for over 6 years and it was the least social time of my life.

I adopted my son when he was 15. When I first met him he was angry, violent, shy with no self confidence and very few friends.

Five years later his looks haven't changed very much, but he's resolved his anger, is kind and courtious to everyone, learned the social skills to completely overcome his shyness, and genuinly likes himself. He now has more friends then he knows what to do with.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A hot bod is great to look at, but a brainless obnoxious twit puts it to waste fast. For me the order is: 1) Nice person (prefer a bit outgoing, but shy is fine). 2) Hard working. 3) Brains (I want to be interested and challenged by people I spend time with) and 4) Looks (But it's more what they do with what they have that's important. Actually can't stand Brad-jolina types. they tend to be B.O.T.'s)
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Flight 1549

This probably belong in a new thread, but I can't figure out how to do that.
    Anyway. Today the crew of Flight 1549 is receiving keys to the City of New York. As a New Yorker and a captain I just wanted to say what a great example these people have set with their professionalism and skill. Additionally, the first responders and especially the captains and crews of the ferries deserve thanks and praise for how well they fearlessly headed straight into what could have been a dangerous situation and assisted those in distress. Many lives were saved that day by professionals acting in a professional manner. :)
  18. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

You can't really blame Brad or ‘jolina. They're a product in a world with a very high demand for what they have to offer. They know it and all of us over 18 should know it. I'm sure behind the product image they are very different people indeed, like Rock Hudson.

What's a B.O.T.?

Boring Old Tease
    Blondes Over Twenty
    Babies Or Teens
    B*tch*s Or Tw*ts
    Boating On Tuesdays
    Bacon On Toast
    Big Ordinary T*tt**s
    Boats Over Tonnage
    Buoyancy On Top
    Boys Often Tease

Nope, I can’t figure that one out.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No I don't blame any of the Brads or 'jolinas out there. Just wouldn't want to be them or deal with them without getting paid for it. As for different private image, forget Rock Hudson, think Marilyn Chambers and Ivory Snow. :eek: . The B.O.T I was referring to was the Brainless Obnoxious Twits but some of your suggestions could fit. BTW, since we're already off subject, congrats on adopting an older child. It sounds like it helped you become a better person as much as him.:)
  20. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

Thanks NYCAP123,

It wasn’t my intention to adopt a kid. Between business, parties and politics, I didn’t have a lot of spare time. He definitely helped me put my life into perspective. It was the right decision though, although sometimes I do miss my booty call list. :cool: