Click for Comfort Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Dock Queen Problems?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Dingus, Mar 31, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dingus

Dingus New Member

Hi Gang,

I'm actively in the market for a 50-55 footer in the 5 to 8 year-old range. I'm finding some that only have 150-200 hours or so on the engines. Are these boats considered "Dock Queens"? Would it be better if the engines had been used more? If so, how many hours would YOU rather see on the engines for a boat this age?

Thanks in advance!
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'm against such generalizations. We don't know how they accumulated the hours or how they were maintained. A boat used one weekend a month and run 4 hours that weekend with a yacht manager making sure all service was done vs a boat run hard for for a year and then sitting unused and not maintained for four years. I don't care how many hours on the engines, but care about the condition of the engines.

I'd just ask more questions and look at them and then, if not excluded, the survey will have to answer.
    JWY likes this.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Lot of "Ifs" in Olderboater's post and they're valid, but they're also unverifiable. But quite frankly I have to wonder how much someone who doesn't use their boat cares about how well it's maintained beyond getting it washed every few weeks. It's certainly not hitting its engine maintenance marks. At lease on a northern boat you can expect it to get annual oil changes at before launching in hopes of using it. Not so sure about one that sits behind a house in Florida all year. I like to see 100-200 hours per year.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, because they are all if's. He has only one small piece of the information. Better than wondering and speculating is to ask and research and find out. Most engine maintenance also has time periods. "Quite frankly, you have to wonder", but why wonder. I know boats that get very little usage but have yacht managers and regular maintenance.

I would be questioning the low usage, but doing so in asking other questions and finding out more, not in jumping to conclusions.
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I have no problem with dock queens, even I like to wear my Girl Friend's dainties on deck on rare occasion...:confused: well not really, but I still don't have a problem with it.

Dingus when are you going to pull the trigger and get that boat you've been looking for all this time ? Just do it man.