Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Dipstick Tank System

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by cap10frank, Nov 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cap10frank

cap10frank New Member

Just purchased a 1989 55 Viking MY the boat is w/o a fuel gauge. It has the Dipstick system installed in the engine room that doesn't work as noted in the owners manual. Can any one shed some light here I have no idea how much fuel I have aboard short of a full top off.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Blow a little compressed air into the dipstick tube, it is likely clogged with Algae or sediment.
  3. SCOTT iRELAND

SCOTT iRELAND New Member

Any more info on the dip stick systems available ?
  4. Kriley

Kriley New Member

I have a 1984 44 Aftcabin....does anyone know if the tank gauges replacements are available? It appears to have a cork float.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Often gauges and sensors (senders) are separable, sometimes mix and match. If you have a "cork float" that sounds like the sensor (sender), not the gauge... and a fix could be as easy as replacing the old with something new. Doesn't necessarily have to be the same style, although easiest if the bolt pattern is a standard (like the SAE 5-bolt pattern).

Search WEMA for their versions (for example, there are others) to get an idea of what theirs look like... and if they look viable, it's probably just a matter of deciding depth (how long the tube is, how deep it inserts into the tank). If your tank is labeled, you could ask the manufacturer what depth the recommend relative to tank depth. Or you could just wing it, select a length (depth) 3-4" less than the actual tank depth measurement.

Or... if I've mis-understood, yes tank level gauges are available too, from various companies: VDO, Faria/Beede, WEMA (I think), CruzPro, etc.

-Chris
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Tank is under master bed, as stated above sending unit is at foot of bed.
    Remove and measure , go to suppliers mentioned above.
    This boat uses one gauge for both tanks with a switch to select, check for problems at the switch as well ( but unlikely). I added a second gauge for the main tank. I used a Cruz pro digital, if installed correctly is very accurate to a qtr of a gallon.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Can I ask which CruzPro gauge you've used? FU-60 or F60? If FU-60, did you start the calibration with empty tanks, as they suggest? If F-60, are your tanks perfect cubes in shape?

-Chris
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Pretty sure it's the FU-60 (I can look it up if critical). Yes I did start with reasonably empty tank. Got it down to about 50 gal left in tank and started from there. That created a new empty point along with a 1.5 hour reserve .

We then went to the fuel dock mid week and proceeded to fill the tank.
    One guy at the nozzle and me at the gauge. Stopped momentarily every 5 gal and pushed the button. Sounds like a pain but in reality only added 45min or so to the fill time.
    Gave the dock person a nice tip for tying up the dock and went back to our dock.
    I believe I used a Wema sending unit (Reid switch variety) however they now make a capacitive type which is probably even more accurate.

I've had this installed for about 12 years, I get to check the accuracy everytime I take on fuel. I have 355 gal showing on the gauge when full, out of a tank capacity of 400 . Hence the reserve amount mentioned earlier.
    If filling I can specify the delta between actual and 355 and it will bring me right back to 355 exactly. Or just say fill it and it stops at 355.

If you need more information, just PM me.
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Thanks, I was just wondering. I get decent repeatability from our FU-60s, but I've not figured out an easy way to empty tanks with a couple hundred gallons of diesel to do their calibration routine to get the actual quantities perfect. And our fuel dock has to deal with charters and the local Fleming fleet, so spending a lot of time yutzing with it while boats in the harbor circle around waiting wouldn't increase my popularity, such as it is.

I've been using math to calibrate, got it pretty close, and as I said it's at least repeatable. Doesn't sound as constant as yours, though.

I also gain about 20 gallons in each tank when we get on plane, too. :)

-Chris
  10. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I understand, I was just at the boat mine is actually the FU-30 which is the predecessor. You need to find a small fueling dock or a commercial one that has little business during certain hours.
    Funny to hear yours increases by 20 on plane, mine decreases by 20 on plane. The answer to that is your sender is closer to aft in tank while mine us forward.
    This gauge is probably one of the best changes I made over the years.