Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Westport

Dinghy ramps

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Monepit, Feb 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monepit

Monepit Member

I have a 450 voyager. I would like to install some roll on Davits on the back for my 11 foot caribe inflatable. 20 hp Honda. About 350 lbs. I keep it on the roof with the factory Davits but it would be nice to have Davits on the back so I didn't have to lift it to the roof every time. Not big on leaving it in the water overnight. I was thinking about the nautley dinghy ramp xl. http://www.dinghyramp.com/dinghyram...-content/uploads/2008/04/dinghyramp_xl_13.jpg Anyone tried these.
  2. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

I have a friend that found a set on Craigs list for 250.00. What a great buy. He had to set up a block and tackle that he attached to the hardtop when pulling it up on the platform. 350lbs is a lot to pull up. Other than that they worked gr8.
  3. Monepit

Monepit Member

I'd love to find some for $250. $1700 new.
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I have the Dinghy Ramp XL and have been happy with it. I have a 10' walker bay RIB with a 15hp 2 stroke motor that we carry on it. I would suggest a block and tackle system to retrieve the boat as pulling it up manually looks way easier on their website than it actually is. PM me your email address and I can send you pics of our setup if you'd like.

Max
  5. Cruz

Cruz Member

I also had the XL's on a previous boat and was very pleased - excellent construction with proper materials. Five seasons on they're working as good as new for the person who bought them from me. I used them for a 10' high pressure inflatable with a 9hp motor so a lighter setup than yours and just manageable enough for one person to retrieve - I would agree with Maxwell about some type of system to assist given your package's weight. If your swim platform tends to heavily wash coming off plane you might consider an alternative solution for your dinghy.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What's the big deal about leaving an inflatable in the water overnight?
  7. Monepit

Monepit Member

None really, but here at Kentucky lake it will get a little growth on it after a weekend in the water. I'm getting ready to retire and head to the tropics on the boat and I imagine it will be much worse down there. Also I've herd that a dinghy a left in the water down there are prime targets. I would like to install a tent lift but they quoted $29000 for that and that doesn't fit in with early retirement real well.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, in the tropics it has to be sitting about 5 days to start growing anything. If you're using it every other day you can usually leave them in even longer......If you're in a calm spot, you could lift it just enough so it's out of the water (with fenders on the side) for 3 hours and drop it right back in and should negate any growth.
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We have a Jatco Trillogy rig on our swim platform, and it works well enough. The manual winch lets me haul our dink with motor, battery, fuel, etc. by myself, no electricity or hydraulics required.

There are pros and cons ref a stern mount, but most of that is generic, not necessarily specific to the lift system.

-Chris